Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Couper

How many coupes?

I have searched the threads here but cannot find one discussing the number of 41 coupes produced. Does anyone have info on this?

Thanks

You're in luck Zoot,

Just check out my post #491483 - 03/02/08 (Early LCOC Bulletin #2 - March, 1953) a bit farther down on this page.

Production statistics are shown on page 2 of the attachments. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this data, it's 54 years old. We now know that there were only 2 1939 Cabriolets produced and only 54 Coupes produced in 1940.

If you're interested, I can put you in touch with all 20 issues of the earliest LCOC bulletins (1953-1955) for a nominal fee.

Fascinating historical information.

In Bonsall's "The Lincoln Motorcar, Sixty years of Excellence" they list Continental production of '41 coupes as 850 and cabriolets at 400. The price for the coupe was $2727 and the cabriolet was $2778. The weight was 3890# for the coupe and the cabriolet was 3860#.

The '40 Continental coupe is listed as only 54 as Phil states and there were 350 cabriolets produced .

This excellent 300 page book is unfortunately out of print. It covers all Lincoln's between 1921 and 1981.

Thanks so much. 850; wow. I wonder how many survive.

BTW, the 41 that I bought is as close to unrestorable as a car can get. It's just a body with the front clip from a Camaro and tons of rust and rot to repair.

I just love that body style so much and could not afford a more complete car. I have some of the trim but far from all. Probably have to finish putting a modern drive train into it and be happy with that.

I know "customs" are frowned upon but I can't imagine I am going to find all the parts to restore it to stock. One thing though, I will definitely NOT chop it. I would just like to make it a driver.

OK, blast away.

smile.gif

Hey Zoot, I can't figure out if you have a '41 Continental coupe or a zephyr, I thought you were looking for zephyr skirts, and I can assure you those production figures are way way bogus, it seems to me I have seen over 850 Z coupes my own self, if it is a Z, is it a 3 window or a 5 window? Here is a pic of a rusted out old hulk my son started to build for me, but then I got so I couldn't drive, so he has it now, SBF, AOD and all Late Lincoln power brakes AC etc etc, he has kept it all stock on the outside, and it is starting to look pretty good I think, guys who customise these cars usually end up with something they are the only one who likes, these cars claim to fame was their styling, so a backyard improvement usually doesn't make it, my opinion of course-

post-51946-143137972888_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137972889_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137972891_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137972893_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137972894_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's my car...a 3-window Zephyr coupe. So, more than 850 made?

Your son's car looks fantastic. It might take me another 20 years (I'll be 71 then) but that's my goal. Oh, I didn't understand your abbreviations; what drive train does your son's car have?

The thing is Zoot, our car is a 5 window club coupe with a back seat, the 3 window only has a front seat, sometimes little jump seats in back. SBF is small block Ford, the one Doug used was a '68 Cougar 302, AOD is automatic overdrive transmission, AC is air conditioning, you would think that little V-8 would look like a peanut in the engine compartment, but truth is it is getting a little crowded. The rear end-front end-brakes etc are all out of a '82 Continental, grafted on to the Z frame, and the result is a fast comfortable "resto-rod" we are quite proud of, here are a few more pics of it-

post-51946-143137972902_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137972904_thumb.jpg

Cool, so this board isn't strictly die-hard, restorers; there's a little room for modifications. I am glad to hear that because I like the idea of a modern four-link rear suspension and a crate engine. But that's all way down the road. I pick the car up Saturday and find out what I really bought. I hope there's not too much metal to replace as my budget is small and shrinking.

I'd be happy just to get the body straight and solid and wait on the rest.

Still need some parts:

Rear fenders and skirts, The lower half of the part that goes between the two front fenders, same with the area between the rear fenders. Grills. Window glass, etc. etc.

There is a fabricator/builder very near me in Yucaipa who'll assess the car Saturday so I am hopeful.

Thanks again. Your car looks awesome but I couldn't tell from the photos that is was a 5-window, club coupe. I love the coupes, especially the 3-window more than any other body style I can think of. Those lines are classic to the 9th degree.

MODERN STUFF IS COOL....BUT A ZEPHYR RUNNING ON 12

SEPERATES THE MEN FROM THE BOYS IN THE LINCOLN

WORLD...THERE IS A FEEL / CHARM TO DRIVING THE FLATHEAD

MACHINE...U LOSE THAT AS ANOTHER OHV POWERED THING..

HOT ROD A FORD OR A CHEVY..NOT A PACKARD OR LINCOLN.

KINDA LIKE PAINTING A HARDWOOD ANTIQUE TABLE GREEN!

BUT...VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE..

HAVE FUN IS THE MAIN THING!!

CHEERS

Zoot:

The 41 Sedan that I told you about may have many of the parts you indicate you need. My next trip up the mountain (once the latest storm passes as they are expecting another 2' of snow this weekend) I'll take some photos and Email them to you. The experts on here can let you know if the trunk pans on the coupe and sedan are a match up. The items on the front should be a match. Let me know your direct Email address.

Zoot:

I measured the front door of my 41 sedan, for your reference it is 36-5/8" at the top of the belt moulding. Hope this helps when your coupe arrives.

Hey Zoot, I have a lot of '41 parts, no fenders or skirts, but nice clear rear window glass, the curved one, all the rest is flat, I know where there is a choice set of 3 window doors, and I have a very nice panel under the deck lid, write me off forum, I have a lot of other stuff too-

Hey Jim and Rolf,

I got my car today and went over it with a builder/fabricator. Tomorrow we'll take the body off the frame.

He say's he can fix the rear fenders but recommends I get the piece between the front fenders and the piece between the rear fenders (Is that called the roll pan?) anyway, the part that has the lip that the deck lid closes onto. Need the lower 5 inches or so of all these parts. Would also love to get a pair of doors as long as they're in my budget (VERY small budget here)

Please pm me, both of you, asap. I want to get my guy these parts and get him going!

Thanks for all your help.

Zoot

ACCORDING TO MARVIN ARNOLD'S BOOK

1941 Production was:

Model 72A Coupe 972 built

Model 72B Coupe W/auxillary seats 178 built

Model 77 Club Coupe 3,750 built

Model 57 Continental coupe 850 built

According to Bonsall's for what it's worth;

'41 Lincoln Zephyr coupe 72A 3 pass, 972

coupe 72B 5 pass, 178

sedan 73, 14,469