1936 hood trim removal question

JoelsBuicks

Hello, I have visited this forum many times but this is my first post and certainly not my last. I am restoring a 36 Roadmaster and I need to remove the stainless trim that runs the length of the hood on each side just above the long hood hinge. Does anyone know how these come off? The hinge is on the backside and I can't see anything because of the hinge. Thank you very much and I look forward to more involvement on this forum.

Joel Wilson

36 Roadmaster

37 Special

47 Sedanette

60 Electra

Guest Two Roadmasters

Hi,

to my knowledge the mouldings use regular moulding clips that are pressed through holes in the hood as well as the body. I used clips that had a rubber sealing inside the V-shaped spring to seal from possible water entering through the holes on the body. This had worked out very good for the last 26 years after the finishing of the restoration.

Mats

• 3 months later...

Hi-

If no one has given you a correct answer to your question yet I will. The trim piece you are referring to is the hood hinge. It is a slide on unit and is removed from the rear of the assembly. The entire hood must be removed from the car to do this. There is a "t" shaped bolt/nut unit that holds the rear down and a pair of bolts at the hood ornament at the front. Cover your cowl and headlights before removal and get a helper since the whole hood is very awkward for one person to remove. Also be aware that the hood will need to be in the fully open position on both sides when you lift it off.

Tom