Adding mechanical brake light switch to '63 Riv

Jim Cannon

The '63 was the only year Riv to use a hydraulically operated brake light switch. I have heard some guys talk of converting their '63 to a mechanical switch, like they have on '64 and later models (usually in conjunction with putting in a dual master cylinder).

Anyone who has done it want to share some tips and tricks on it? Like where/how to install the switch bracket? I assume you use a switch from a '64 and later Riv.

I'd like my brake lights to start coming on as soon as I begin to touch the brake pedal, not wait until I have built up pressure in the lines. I can splice a second switch in parallel to the factory original and let them both do their thing.

Thanks in advance!

Jim,

As the frost comes out of the ground and the snow melts up here, I usually get out to some western MN junkyards that have a couple of 64-65's still in them. I'll see what is different from the 63 and let you know. I'm sure someone has already done this and has the information, like a Tom Mooney!

Take Care, Tim

• 3 months later...

Hello, all-

Question for anyone that has done it:

Will the bracket shown in the photos below from a '64 Riv bolt right in to a '63 Riv to give me a mechanical brake light switch?

dsc08621yu3.th.jpg

dsc08622br5.th.jpg

Or should I somehow modify the bracket that I have now to hold a switch?

Thanks!