1930 Cad.-Las. Lowboy trunk, best and correct cover material?

alsfarms

Hello all,

I am restoring a 1930 LaSalle and will be repairing a Lowboy trunk to go on the car. I have seen trunks both with a painted sheet metal shell and others with the outside covered in leatherette. Which is the more original or does it matter from an authenticity standpoint? Anyone that has experience, even with other makes, please share your knowledge.

Thanks,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

In 1930 covered wooden trunks were used in this time period, though I believe a few metal versions appeared, especially for Cadillac. Metal became more common by mid to late '30's. I have only seem metal trunks that are painted. Covered ones are wooden. A source for thin leatherette is either Gane Brothers book binding supplies Gane Brothers or Brettruns village trunk

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Alan -

If you have a correct Cadillac Accessory lowboy trunk, then it will be constructed of wood with a painted metal skin. Fabric covered trunks were probably available in 1930, but one of these would not be the correct Cadillac Accessory.

- Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Do not be definative if you do not really know these cars.

Lets turn to Page 4 of our "Fine Car Accessories especially designed for Cadillac and LaSalle Motor Cars" manual for 1930 and see page 4: "Deluxe Trunks" Beautifully built of three-ply basswood veneer with high polished rustless steel mouldings and fittings. Fabric or metal covered, contains two large suitcases, 30 by 16.1/2 by 8 inches, and a hatbox, 16 by 16 1/2 by 7 1/2 inches, all covered with fine quality buffalo grain material. Deluxe Fabric Trunk $85.00 each, Deluxe Metal Trunk with black cases $105.00, Deluxe Metal Trunk with pigskin cases $115.00, Metal trunks painted to match color of car - $15.00 extra.

Picture appears to show it in a long grain black vinyl.

I have seen one very authentically restored V-16 in matching Haartz cloth to convertible top.

By the way, all open car tops are lined in wool broadcloth. When you stumble across an original they are beautifully finished inside.

Does anyone have a reprint or photo copy of a 1931 Cadillac Accessory Manual ?

JMM

jmereness@yahoo.com

• 1 year later...