Please do not do this...

BadgerRivFan

Yeah the "Donks" are crappy. First time I've seen this done to a Riviera as usually the 1980's Chevrolet Caprices are the car of choice for this. I've even read that in Florida where the Donks originated, Caprices can go for as much as $10,000.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Al,

Is it the portholes or the steering wheel that is horrible?

Unless there something else I'm missing?

Kidding...

Guest Gee_Rydes

The question is what size wheels cross the line?

I saw a black 63' on ebay sell for $30K that had 20's and looked awesome. Many folks put 18's and are considered conservative these days but would have been frowned upon 8 years ago.

Al's 2 examples had 22's and 24's.

Where is that line, my friends, and does it depend on how the rest of the car is done?

post-50598-143137972302_thumb.jpg

post-50598-143137972304_thumb.jpg

Bigger wheels yes. Jacking up the car like that Regal is going way overboard. Myself, I wouldn't mind getting a set of bigger wheels for my Riviera because some of the ones I've seen with them look cool. And even though some of the older guys here my disagree with that, I don't mind giving the car my own personal touches. If anything, the looks I got from this hot blonde at the gas station yesterday make it even more imperative I find a set ASAP. I have a good feeling this car is going to help me out in more ways than one.

BTW, I'm 36 and not the typical Riviera owner. wink.gif

You have to take everying into consideration. If your customizing your car and you had the black Riv above then yes that looks okay to me. Now can you tell how the regal the the green one are way overboard? You got to know when enough is enough. I sometimes get comments from people about my Riv's that I have to ignore. Some would have it lookings like a POS!

Guest Gee_Rydes

For me, I think the line is about height. The moment that the car starts to look lifted to accomodate the wheels, you've crossed it. The black 63' with 20's can ride at stock height or probably even dropped a bit. The others clearly can only be driven when above stock height.

I'd be interested to know what some of the "wiser" gentlemen think.

What would look good on this one? For some reason, it sits lower than a lot of the Rivieras I've seen so a set of 18's or 20's would fill up the wheel wells nicely IMO and it wouldn't look too ghetto. And even though the Ralleyes look good too, I want something a little more modern. Any suggestions?

2003_0101Image100.JPG

Guest Ranger

I'd guess if you're 36 and think a set of wheels are going to help you score with a blond at a gas station, you just might have some issues.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gee_Rydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is what size wheels cross the line? Where is that line, my friends, and does it depend on how the rest of the car is done?</div></div>

Excellent point Dave. There is definitely a line, but I guess the line is determined by personal preference. I don't mind somebody "upgrading" wheels to a larger size if it is done tastefully (again, the definition of "tasteful" could be subject to debate), but I certainly don't get the whole Donk idea...

Judging by the responses to this post it appears that I'm not alone. That in and of itself is reassuring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd guess if you're 36 and think a set of wheels are going to help you score with a blond at a gas station, you just might have some issues.

Jim </div></div>

Party pooper. I think the wheels will make the car more attractive and I don't need them to score.

Guest dcdpgh

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and it is my opinion that stock looks best. Stock height and wheels. Every collectible car I have owned (and it has not been many) I have worked to keep or get it back to as close to stock equipped as possible.

I personally don't have a problem (not that that should matter, as it is your car not mine) with after market wheels as long as the ride height of the car does not get compromised or distorted beyond visual appeal. How's that for subjective!

Guest Ranger

he, he. Seriously Jim, don't know if the pattern will fit, I've put a set of 17" chrome Lucerne wheels on one of my Reattas. I think the '08 Lucerne wheels are 18", the hole pattern is 115mm and they're nine spoke. They help to fill the wheel wells very nicely. No luck with blondes, got a brunette.

Jim

Guest Gee_Rydes

Jimtash

Here is a link to a pretty nice looking semi-custom with larger wheels. I think this has a pretty classy exterior. I'm not a big fan of the interior.

Custom 65

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcdpgh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and it is my opinion that stock looks best. Stock height and wheels. Every collectible car I have owned (and it has not been many) I have worked to keep or get it back to as close to stock equipped as possible.

I personally don't have a problem (not that that should matter, as it is your car not mine) with after market wheels as long as the ride height of the car does not get compromised or distorted beyond visual appeal. How's that for subjective! </div></div>

I agree. I don't want to lower mine at all as it looks good as it is. I'm thinking the previous owner might have put GS springs on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gee_Rydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimtash

Here is a link to a pretty nice looking semi-custom with larger wheels. I think this has a pretty classy exterior. I'm not a big fan of the interior.

Custom 65 </div></div>

Thanks but that's not my style. I do think the spinners are cool though.

There was a '64 on Ebay for sale a few weeks ago that had a nice set of rims on it but I can't recall what they were.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he, he. Seriously Jim, don't know if the pattern will fit, I've put a set of 17" chrome Lucerne wheels on one of my Reattas. I think the '08 Lucerne wheels are 18", the hole pattern is 115mm and they're nine spoke. They help to fill the wheel wells very nicely. No luck with blondes, got a brunette.

Jim </div></div>

LOL. Thanks man. I'll look into those as well.

And BTW, I have nothing against brunettes. At 36, it's kinda hard meeting descent women and if the car can help me then so be it. It really becomes a conversational piece wherever I go and I've met many people who'll stop and ask questions about it.

Changing wheels is to me an acceptable change. It does not involve "customizing" either the interior or exterior of a car. And if you get tired of the "look" you can simply put the stock ones back on or go buy a different set that you may like better...

Guest Bronie

I recently went with a set of C-5 wheels from Coys wheel shop located in Oregon. The rears are 18 by 9.5 and the fronts are 18 by 8. Rubber is 275/40/R18 on the rear and 245/40/R18 on the front. It puts a totally different look on the car. I wouldn't be caught dead with the stock look, but thats me and I like customs.

John.

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

R.O.A. 11352

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gee_Rydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go Al...

Make sure you didn't just finish eating...it may come back up. </div></div>

Dave, that's very disturbing. That's all I can say.

Interestingly though, I bought a set of 20" chrome Momo wheels (see booth next to Donkzilla in photo) for my Jeep Commander daily driver last fall. Maybe subconsciously I really do like the donk look - do ya think?

Guest Riviera66

You know, seeing these vehicles and the comment made way earlier about the blonde at the gas station causes me to share what a friend told me a while back... she says there's a school of thought out there (at least out here in California) that the bigger the wheels on a car or the higher a pickup truck is raised for attention, that the more it's a sign that the owner is trying to (subconsciously?) distract attention from his 'short'comings elsewhere. I won't go into more detail... but thought it was a funny commentary that might cause a few to reconsider those 26" rims...

What I don't get is the structure of those rims on the greenmobile... is there clear plastic holding them together? Looks weird as it sits there.

Darwin Falk

Guest Ranger

Along the same line of thinking that Darwin presented:

While going to crash reconstruction school, a mathmatical theorem was presented but not proved;

"The center of gravity of any given motor vehicle is inversely proportional to the I.Q. of the owner".

Again not proven, but..........

Jim Wright

I think that giving the car a personal touch with a set of bigger rims isn't being how should I put it, "small" in other areas. The donks take it to the extreme but a set of 18's on a Riviera is by no means a sign that the owner is lacking in anything else. And even the donk guys are just car crazy but in a different way. Hey, even though I wouldn't do it personally, I can understand at least why they do it. It's their style and I respect that and it's a far better option than say some of the other things younger people get into these days. On the other hand though, using some of the logic from a few of the posts written here, some of you guys must think a person that buys a 600hp ZR-1 Vette is also a loser. Afterall, anyone seen in that car is just making up for other areas in their life, right? Where is the line drawn?

And as far as the blond is concerned, when you older guys were out cruising the boulevard in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's,cool.gif wasn't one of the reasons to pick up women? And didn't you come to the conclusion that your car is just an extension of yourself in the pursuit of women? Sure it is. Anybody that says it isn't is a liar. Does that mean I go out cruising for women? No, of course not. But if one does take notice at the gas station, or the mall or wherever, don't think I won't use it to my advantage to at least introduce myself. Same applies at say a car show. Woman comes up to you and admires your car, are you guys just going to turn your back on her? The married guys might but as a single guy I can absolutely confidently say hell no I won't. And if she's single and likes old cars, hey that's something we got in common and then take it from there. Who knows, daddy might own a Hemi. Or she might but the point here is that it never ever hurts to talk wether because they spotted your car in a lot or your eyes across a room.

Guest lvrpool32

I have 20's on mine, but I avoided chrome, went with a vintage looking wheel and modified the stance as well (lowered) and I like the look, the 20's dont seem out of place on such a big car (as I am still using a 40 aspect ratio tire)

I think the issue is that the wheels need to be part of the car, not the only focul point of the car.

post-53248-143137972992_thumb.jpg

Guest Gee_Rydes

Okay, you guys caught me. I also have a 600HP Vette with 30's on it.

Damn, I thought nobody would ever know how little my ...well...you know...is

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this pic, I think this was taken at the SEMA show in Vegas. I ordered 17's for my '63 the other day, but this looks like a waste of a good boattail.

Speaking a car guy, I am glad these kids are working with old cars, I just don't like what they are doing to them. But now I sound like the guys that were my age now back in the early seventies when the street rod movement really took off. They didn't like what us young kids were doing to their beloved old tin. Will history repeat itself again?

Steve Owens

'63 Riv.