Ignition Mods

Richard S

My 90 was idlinga bit rough, and I'd already cleaned the IAC and EGR so decided to attack the ignition. I had previously opened the module and found the gasket was toast. Since then the sealant had begun to melt and even a little leaked. So I replaced the module with an aftermarket [seems identical to original for under $50] and the coil pack with the one marketed by Accel. Got an MSD DIS4 unit on EBAY for $70 and for ease of wiring I bought the Buick interface module from JEGS [eliminates need to cut into any stock wiring]. Topped off with a set of 8mm Splitfire wires from JC Whitney [they fit perfectly and look nice to boot (no pun intended)]. The mileage shows about 12% improvement, and the high end response is a little better. Whether that is the effect of curing some age related weaknesses in the original igntion, or MSD multi spark I cannot say. In general I am very happy with the results for the price.

Which interface module did you use? The one for the Grand Nationals or the other one? I have thought about this modification also.

Guest Greg Ross

wufibug,<BR>Trying to get a grasp on what combination you've used here;<BR>you've referred to a leaking sealant, this I understand is the ignition Module (bottom of the stack)'<BR>you then refer to an Accel Coil Pack and a MSD Dis4? is the MSD one of the external spark boosters? I was looking at the MSD Catalog and don't recall a Dis4.<BR>and can you quote the other Part No's.

The Dis-4 unit is part number 6215 and is on page 19 of the 2001 MSD catalog as well as P/N 8878 Buick interface module. The Accel Magnovox coil is sold under P/N ACC-140016 by P.A.W ($85 in a two year old catalog)., probably by many others as well. Jegs gets $330 for the Dis-4 and $55 for the Buick interface module. Looks like a $500 upgrade without replacing the stock ignition module.

Part numbers are all correct, tho I sourced them differently. The module is the bottom part and it was leaking. I got that via an aftermarket source at $75 [not $55 as I originally misquoted]. The MSD DIS4 is commonly sold on EBAY. I happened to get one with different adaptors [Ford as I recall] for $70, so I sold the adaptors which paid for the interface. Again, this is not necessary if you are willing to cut into the wiring. I prefered the interface which come with a wiring harness which JEGs sells for $55. I forget where I got the Accel coil pack, but it was about $75. The Splitfire wires are $50 from JC Whitney. The total cost was about $275. I was averaging about 310 miles to a tank of about 15 gallons. The two tanks with the above set up has averaged 365 miles, all about the same driving.<p>[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: wufibug ]