1/2" x 22 threads

Guest Roland

Guest imported_Roland

Hi Guys,

I am rebuilding a mechanical oiler and discovered that it has obsolete 1/2" x 22 threads (not 1/2" x 20 or 24).

Is there anyone who will let me borrow a tap or die of this size for a week?

If I borrow a die (preferred), it will be to make a steel threaded rod that I can use to reform brass threads in a 1/2" x 20 flare nut.

If it is a tap, I'll re-cut the brass threads.

Of course, I'll pay shipping.

I have been looking in all of the usual places and have quotes of $100 to $150 to custom re-make this definitely a non-current size old size !!

A thread file will not work since I need to modify a 1/2" x 20 flare-nut.

The "Precision Automatic Co." mechanical oiler goes to my non-running 1910 Rambler which has had pieces lost over the years.

Regards, Roland

About 15 years ago I needed some stepped studs in order to use some generic American Racing wheels and lug nuts on my '56 Buick Century. I asked the head machine shop instructor at the local vocational college if his students would be willing to tackle the project.

All I needed to provide was the Grade 8 bolts with the larger diameter. They cut off the heads and cut threads of the smaller diameter on that end. As I understand it, it took them three passes each on the lathe--and I needed 20 studs. They did a great job!

Guest imported_Roland

Hi nearchoclatetown,

I looked all over for Weddel and could not find the place. Any chance you could check on the name for me, please?

Thanks, Roland

Guest imported_Roland

Thanks to all!

Maybe someone has a flare nut sitting around in a coffee can that is 1/2" x 22?

I heard from one guy who thought he did: not.

Regards, Roalnd

Guest imported_Roland

Hi All, Just thought I would close out this thread by telling you all about TRACY TOOLS LTD.

Tracy carries all sorts of special taps and dies at very reasonable costs. For instance a 1/2" x 22 die was 8 British Pounds and a non-listed size was in stock 5/8" x 36 tap was 15 British Pounds; quick shipping for both was 6 BP. Easily charged to a credit card via e-mail. Check them out at http://www.tracytools.com/

If you have any interest, e-mail, the very responsive, Russell at Tracy Tools Limited info@tracytools.com. As I found out they have special sizes in stock that are not listed.

Regards, Roland