Rear Brake pads

I have '90 Reatta Coupe that I purchased in '97. The problem I keep encountering is rattling of the rear brake pads. Had brakes completely redone three times. Each time I still had plenty of pad left but the 'ears' (?) on each end of the pads had rusted away. The fix seems to last a couple of months and then same problem. Is this maybe a design problem or am I getting the wrong pads?

Guest Greg Ross

Common problem Cap'n,<BR>GM discontinued the Pads that were for that caliper so the replacement I believe is what is used on the Lumina.<BR>There are are a couple of suggestions;<BR>I believe it's Auto Zone carries an adhesive that basically bonds the pad to the caliper,<BR>A Mechanic told me when installing the new pads it is necessary to basically use a chisel to flare several spots along the front and rear edges of the pad backing plate to take up the slack between the pad and the caliper,<BR>Also anti-rattle Kits?<BR>I did find part of the problem was missing inner bushings in the caliper mounting bracket on mine. I'd had new brackets installed to supposedly solve the problem and this "Fly-By-Night Shop neglected to put all of the Bushing Kit in the Bracket! Rattle is not quite as bad since I put the kit in a couple of weeks ago.<BR>Good luck, mad.gif" border="0<p>[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: GM Ross ]

Who's pads are you using? I picked up something generic at my local auto parts warehouse and they've been fine for several years. I should have bought new rotors instead of having them turned. I get a little pulsation because they weren't turned quite true. Always replace the rotors. The rears rust up pretty fast.

Thanks for the info re rear brake pads. Car going into shop for repair in a couple of weeks and I'll go over the options with the mechanic.

had exact problem with my 1989 riviera. someone left retainer off back of the original pad. not sure of your part number but it can be found in group 5.043.<BR>check with your dealer.<BR>sure it will work with any brand pads you use. i have been using raybestos with good results. for nearly 200k mi<BR>good luck<BR>charlie

Guest wally888

From reatta.net/brakes<BR>About Brake Pads: Many replacement pads are not the proper size! Some owners have been fortunate and have found OEM pads! A post from the Reatta Forum: (suggest you search there," Brake Pads", before selecting replacement pads or a Repair Shop!) <P>The 12321440 (front) and 12321441 (rear) Pad Kits are no longer available. However, exact replacement Durastop pads are available from any GM or ACDelco retailer. The original Pad Kits included caliper bushings. The Durastop pads come by themselves. You will have to purchase 2 18013996 Bushing Kits. If the caliper bolts have any corrosion or rough areas on them, they really should be replaced. No matter how smooth you polish them, the thin plating is gone and they will corrode quickly.The key to non-dragging, quiet brakes is new bushings when replacing pads, and smooth, lubricated caliper bolts. <P> Please notify me if there are any mistakes in above!