Hoping someone can help

Dwain

Hi, my name is Dwain.. .I personally do not restore buicks, but my grandfather did, and I have been trying to track down information about him. He died a few years ago, and all of his cars were sold. His name was Floyd Leach, and resided in Monroe Michigan. He always drove his cars to the all of the shows with my grandma. He restored a few different cars, I believe a 32 packard, a '24 buick, and a '28 buick. There were more but I do not rememeber all of them. I am pretty sure one of the cars won a national championship spot in or around 1990 or so. I am hoping someone on here would possibly have remembered him, but I doubt it. Does anyone know how I can look up records during those years?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dwain:

I have a complete set of the Buick Club's monthly magazine, The Bugle, from the founding of the club in 1966 to today. I also have a copy of all the rosters. Give me a couple of days and I'll see if I can find him.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dwain:

I remember Floyd very well. He had a 1949 black Sedanette and a prize winning 1935 Model 41 sedan. It was Burgandy with Crean colored wire wheels. It is pictured on a Bugle cover shot at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Mi. sometime in the late 80's. I'm sure Mr Corbin will find it.

Several of us from the Glass City Chapter helped Floyd inventory a mountain of parts in his garage back in the late 70's. We had a great time. Later, though, he was more active with the SE Michigan Chapter. Wayne Funk will remember him well. I knew he had passed a few years ago, but do not know what happened to the cars. Hope this is of some help.

It is great to hear people still remember him. When I say he passed a few years ago, it is really more like 12 years ago. The car my grandma/grandpa drove on a regular basis was a 49 buick but it was not a roadmaster if I am not mistaken. They also had a 50 that sat in the pole barn. It was not in driving condition. To the best of my knowledge my grandma still has the 49... but all the other vehicles were sold. Amazingly enough, my grandma still lives in the same house as they did in the 70's.. The garage is still used for restoration, but now my uncle Doug (the oldest son) restores corvettes.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dwain:

I found this entry in the 1987 Buick Bugle roster issue and it was repeated in the 2001 roster:

Leach, Floyd

BCA 5447 (My note: this indicates joining about 1976.)

Box 93, 5848 Leroux Rd.

Newport, Mi.

1924-41

1935-41

1935-58

1949-56S

I couldn't find the cover car picture that Glassesguy refers to, but I did look for it on Bugles from 1987 thru 1995. Note that our roster only lists the Buicks your grandfather had.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Well thank you for looking. I do know one of his cars was on the cover of a magazine and the pics were taken at Green Field Village... It would be great if I could find out which magazine it was... Its just one of those things I would like to have as a keepsake... Eventually I want to try and locate one of the cars he restored and purchase it...

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dwain:

I'm sending you a PM (private message) which I think you will find QUITE interesting.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks again for the information. I was talking yesterday to my dad about the cover car and he said it was the 24. He could not remember the year either. I guess at the time, I really didn't understand the significance of his car being on the cover of a magazine. I didn't get the car bug until after my grandfather had passed. I love cars in general, and have always loved pre war classics. My problem is I like to modify and make them faster and I could never justify cutting up or destroying a car that could be restored... Thats why I build mustangs instead. I also found out yesterday that my uncle Doug (The oldest son) has the 35 in his possession.