1941 Fisher Body Plate

7buick7

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Henrik:

Is this question about the 1941 90L on the list of cars you own? If so, post the information from the body plate and I may be able to help you. If you could also post the frame number (small plate on frame rail just behind the battery) and the engine number (stamped on small ledge by the base of the distributor), that info mght also help.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi,

Yep, it's the 1941 I can't figure out. My 1932 is built here in Denmark at the first GM assemblyplant outside the US!

The fisher plate don't have a model. The body is no 125. Style is 41-4933. Frame no is 13988585.

Engine is RE no 510757, but was no 94166336.

post-55857-143137971734_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it wasn't an offical "export" car, but one that was merely shipped over to Europe after being purchased in the US. I know that there are quite a few cars that were scattered around the world during WWII for use by military staff. The Dual Carb Registry lists a '42 90 Series in Australia that was apparently the Pacific commander's personal car.

Yes, that could be a good explanation.

I just don't know if the "X" is supposed to be there (stamped) on all real exports or if it's just on the paper they are named X.

(I follow your project with great pleasure!)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Henrik:

I've looked at the numbers you've posted and everything matches. It is a 1941 90L and was built early in December 1940 at Flint. The frame number decodes as 1 (Flint) 3,988,585, which would be early December. The 125 for the body number matches that date also. The original engine number decodes as 9 (90 series car) 4,166,336, an engine built very late in November 1940 so everything matches. Paint code 560 is Carlsbad Black, and trim code 908 indicates Tan Bedford Cord interior. The "O" on the plate (which is stamped IN) indicates something unusual was built on the car, but I don't know what it was.

The fact that the car was built with a cloth interior seems to indicate a USA car as export cars would normally have a leather interior. That isn't absolute, however, as domestic cars could be ordered with leather and export cars with cloth interiors.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Henrick:

As an example of the letter stamped "IN", I saw a 1939 Special at Hershey several years ago that had a "K" stamped in. What was unsual was that it had a sidemount only on the RIGHT side. I examined it very carefully and it was built that way! Every Buick that I've seen this way has in common that there is something odd in the body or fenders that Fisher has to do something unusual, and Buick also has to do something odd on the assembly line. In this case, Fisher supplies and paints only a right welled fender, and Buick puts the support brace only on the right side of the frame.

What's odd about your car?

Regards, Dave Corbin

Can't think of anything odd, but I have never seen another 90L in real, so I will start looking at all the pictures I can find of other Limited's.

Thanks for the input!

Was the alphabet used for unusual options, first special order in a production year A.... ?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Henrik:

Each year, Buick would issue to the sale people a list of options. These would be designated with a letter and the list changed from year to year, so, as far as I know, "A" doesn't mean the same thing next year as it did this year. What I have observed is that that stamped "IN" letter always seems to be Buick's way of telling Fisher: "Hey, this body that you're going to make for us is a little different than usual and you need to do/make/supply something unusual." I think it also alerts Buick's production people: "When this body comes over from Fisher, be SURE you get it on exactly the right chassis!"

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest shorttimer

We had a 41 90L with a special order trim configuration when I was a kid. The Trim line on the data tag indicated the SO, but there were no corresponding numbers like you commonly see in the SO Cadillacs of the era to indicate the materials used. It was originally a California car, so I always assumed the broadcloth/bedford cord interior was ordered to keep the driver cooler. I believe the only options the car had were the intercom, radio and clock.

I don't remember if the data plate on the 90L had the 'O' stamp, but at least one of our other 41's, a Roadmaster, did. I can't think of anything special or unusual on that car, but maybe I have missed something.

Hello Henrik

I have a 1941 Special , with dual carb.

Im located in AArhus , Denmark .

Maybe we can meet this summer and exchange informations ?

Feel free to send me an email.

Michael

Buick Special 1941.

Indian Chief 344 and 351.

Case 1920 , 7 seater (looking desperatly for parts)