Are Packard Tachs rare?

alsancle

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 3:09 PM, alsancle said:

Pictures.

post-31305-143142773134_thumb.jpg

post-31305-14314277315_thumb.jpg

Interesting photos - must be a good story about that particular car.   Post-war hose clamps & radiator hose are a clue that particular car received at least some post-war servicing to some extent.   Or maybe some "monkeying around" by an early car buff...?

Major erosion of the porcelain  - enamal on the exhaust manifold suggests considerable mileage. That tach adapter ...most likely a Stewart-Warner,  but baffles me as to type.

Lack of chrome plating on the steering column, plus the dash finish suggests this was not a Packard V-12,  but one of the "lesser" series Packards of that year....however...no question that is a Packard V-12 motor.  

Questions...questions.... ? ? ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 0:49 AM, alsancle said:

This is an early 120 Darrin with the tach.

IMG_2936.JPG

I just noticed this is different from the others I have seen.  It only has one needle which is part of the central hub.  The ones I have seen have two needles,  the second being an adjustable "red line".

• 10 months later...

Tachs are quite rare but are in the salesman handbook for the 39 as they introduced Econodrive (overdrive)  and the "Handishift", 3 on the tree. My 1939 has one of those rare options, still works, although needs to be repaired / preserved. I am not restoring my 39, just trying to preserve it with its originality

1599-1.jpg

Generator takeoff-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2008 at 12:07 AM, flackmaster said:

The 1939 Tach was driven off the back end of the generator, and the primary purpose was to illustrate the new for 1939 overdrive setup to Packard customers.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2008 at 1:15 PM, Speedster said:

Thanks JT,

Great Info.

I saw one years ago that was driven by the generator. One old Packard mechanic said if it ever hit

5000 RPM it would put a rod thru the block. I had a 1935 "Super"8 when I was in high school and

it had a beautiful dash and two glove compartments.This car was traded in on a Morris Minor

in 1952 and I bought it for $150.It was a convertible with wire wheels (6) and a rumble seat.

In the glove box on the drivers side I found a loaded German P38,unloaded it and had the owner

of the dealership I was working in call the Morris owner to come and get it. This man was a

law enforcement officer in Kentucky and carried it all over the country with him.In the past

I have owned a 1951-52 and 53  + a 55 Patrician. The Patrician was a pathetic example of

what happened to kill Packard and the Ultramatic transmission was the killer.In 1956 I

understand that they got the "bugs" out of it but the 55's made sure few of the 56's were sold.

My 51 was Ultramatic with a small (288)CID engine that didn't tear up the transmission.

I did rebuild it after it started "surging"while idling in"drive".I made all new bronze bushings

and closed up the sloppy manufacturing tolerances and the direct clutch in the converter could

be felt when it engaged. In 1989 I went to St.Louis and rebuilt another one for a man who had

his fail in a fine 54 sedan and I drove it back to Huntington WV where I live and fine tuned it.

He picked it up on a trip from DC and drove it out West to wherever he lived.