Is Undercoating Permitted??

Ok, the underside of my 41 isnt looking like frame off. So I thought I'd do the poor mans resto and clean up what I can and rubberize undercoat the underside of the car as well as the inside of the fender wells. I have 6 cans of Napa rubberized undercoating waiting in my garage. I think it'll look much nicer than road weary 60 year old metal, but I don't want to be slammed at shows. What are your thoughts? Do the judges frown on undercoating? I drive the car as often as possible, so I surely wont ever be concours. Any thoughts welcome!<P>Rick

Rick ~ Don't do it until you get input from Father Ron or someone else close to the current judging leadership. I'm leaving for the Founders Tour and just do not have the time to do the research, and get my undercoating knowledge back to where it was when I was more active in judging.<P>In a few words, I believe it is still unacceptable on a "41 car.<P>hvs

AS I am a "lone wolf" (not belonging to any clubs) I should probably not be permitted to interject any comments at all in this forum. However, since it is possible, I will. I think the key sentence in your paragraph is "since I drive the car as often as possible, it will never be concours". You are the real heart of old-cars lovers, not fussy old maids living in a pretend world where all cars just left the showroom. As I admitted, I am a non-joiner, I am a shark patrolling these waters simply to pick up technical advice or possible sources for parts/cars. In my narrow-minded view, in the real world, once any warranties expired, most drivers did not go to the local dealership for a new fan belt, they went to the local auto parts store, so an old car with a Gates or Dayco belt is right on. I try to keep my 53 Chrysler Town & Country and 55 Dodge Suburban looking "stock" (both 6-volt with stock drive trains) I don't care for hot rodders. I onced asked a tech question at the Walter P. Chrysler site about my Chrysler Fluid-torque drive transmission. The webmaster expressed interest in my question, since he had a like vehicle, but he couldn't comment about the shifting habits of that car, since he had practically never driven it. Well, amigos, I drive my cars! I love them, but I do not put them on a pedestal. So you nervous nellies keep your cars in the garage, and never replace a grade 2 bolt with a grade 5 bolt without getting permission from your club guru!

Rick,<P>Do as HVS has suggested and wait for a answer from Ron or one of the others regarding what's accepted. If you want to dress up the underside, please do not use that rubberized undercoating you have. Tell me more about the condition of the underside or better yet, why don't you drive it up to me some day and I'll be glad to look it over with you and give you a better recommendation and product advice. Just don't use what you have there. My offer here is all I can do to help you.<P>seyman,<BR>No, you don't have to be a AACA member to come on here and give a opinion. However, whatever it is you're trying to get started with comments like that is not needed here. If you were to take the time to look into what the AACA is all about, you'll find we are made up of members that show, drive and do both. We don't degrade one another for the way he or she enjoys the club.<P>Rick

res1967, One of the wonderful things about the hobby and our club is that we do not make the decisions about what you do with your own car - that's strictly up to you. However, we do accept the responsibility to offer advice that may or may not help you make a reasonable decision.<P>Now to the question about undercoating. From a judging perspective, the undercoating would cause deductions. If doing well in competition is important to you, I would advise to not undercoat. However, I would not leave exposed bare metal to rust - there would be deductions for that also. I agree with Rick Hoover, A good protective paint coat would be better. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to undercoating that look appropriate and provide excellent protection for the car. <P>One other negative to the undercoating question relates to the inevitable need to perform repairs under the car, especially if you intend to use it frequently on tours or whatever you like to do. Undercoating can be really messy and make those repairs more challenging.<P>One other bit of advice - take Rick up on his offer. If nothing else just visiting his shop will be fun. I wish I lived closer so that I could visit more often. He is very skilled and should be able to offer some good recommendations.<p>[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: ronbarn ]

I do sincerely apologize for the vinegar I used in a few comments. I had no right to express myself in that manner. Everyone is obviously permitted to enjoy their cars however they choose. I guess I was wanting to initiate at least some meaningful discussion other that the price of gasoline or what is your least favorite/most favorite Buick. Again I apologize, just hope it's not a hanging offense.

Thanks for the input. I do have some non-rubberized undercoating available. I'll give it a test run for looks, then decide if I should go all the way. One other small question... These classes are kinda confusing. I read my Antique Auto and see pics of winning cars in classes I have never heard of. If only three cars show up in a class do they all win awards regardless of scores? What class is my car? A 41 Chrysler Royal that is stock. In order to drive it I had to get a battery from auto zone ( 6 volt ), repaint the engine, and minor other things. Where do I fit in?<P>Rick

I am new here, so maybe I am not in a position to pronounce sentencing on you SEYMAN, but I am like anyone else here, able to express opinions. That said, I am glad you stepped up and apologized for those unwanted words of wisdom....I therefore sentence you to 30 days of leaving your car in the garage with a dust cover on it. smile.gif" border="0 <P>I am the guy your words were directed at, so too speak. Yep, the car is SHOWROOM condition and sits in the garage and on top of a trailer for trips to the shows and I would never think of using an aftermarket hose or belt. That's my thing, the car was restored for the purpose of Showing it to the public., for the young who have no idea what these cars looked like right off the dealer showroom floor and for the older folks who like to relive abit of the past. Had I wanted to drive it, believe me, I would have made many modifications to the way GM made it. I just get so sick of hearing the "cars were made to be driven" comments....Hell STAMPS were made to be licked, but the many stamp collectors out there are not licking their stamps and mailing off the Gas bill and Nobody looks at their stamps and says "Awh what a shame, nice stamp going to waste."<P>Well, anyway I am glad you apologized. That is a Stand Up thing to do.<P>Sorry Rick for cutting in on your thread.<P>Stepping down from the box now. <P>Mike

Wow, alot of interesting topics from an undercoating question. I guess I can toss my nickels worth in for some fun. I think restored cars are things of beauty. I also couldnt buy a car without feeling it hit the pavement by taking it on a spin. I guess to relive those days of old, you would want to experience the cars driving characteristics, how it handled etc... So for me, I drive and restore to the best of my lowly abilities, and then head to the local cruise spots to show it off and talk about cars with the local kids. I think one of the happiest times I can experience is driving my old car listening to some doo wop music, it's really like being back in a bygone era. As for shows... Heck I like to win just as much as the next guy, but I never really minded a few mods as long as the general look of the vehicle wasn't changed too drastically. Either way, we all are here because we love old cars, so lets get together and whether your drive or trailer, enjoy each others company!<P>Rick wink.gif" border="0

res1967, The AACA judging system is not as simple as three cars getting a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. There can be a class with three (or any other numbers) at the Junior level and all winning 1st, or all winning nothing. You really need to read the judging manual to see how the scoring and winner selection is done. Remember an earlier post - the Judging Manual is on line now. Just go to the AACA home page. The class listing is there also. Just look for production vehicles that include 1941.