Buying an old car in Canada and bringing it home

scott12180

Hi all,

Anyone know what's involved with buying a pre-War old car, made in the USA like Ford, Buick, Chevrolet, and bringing it home to the USA?

What happens when you try to cross the border into the US?

What happens when you try to register the car at your local, friendly (ah- HEM) DMV office?

Thanks -- Scott

My dad went through this back in '05. He had picked up an original '23 T coupe, made in Canada. The seller had gotten all the Canadian legal paperwork done beforehand that he could do, like a bill of sale which Dad then signed on picking the car up, and some other things too. When we arrived at the border, the US customs guy just said "Wow" and asked some questions about the car and where we got it. We had the papers handy but he didn't even ask for them. No problem.

Now, getting it registered in NY was a problem but it shouldn't have been. The NY DMV just didn't have all their facts. Dad was told that he had to load up the car and drive it all the way back to the border to get "entry papers" and that he would also need an emissions statement. Further, he would have to pay duty and show proof of that to the DMV. Dad was furious and he doubted that they knew what they were talking about, though it was their job to know. So he went over their heads to a head customs official in Buffalo.

When he heard what Dad had been told, the official scoffed at the underlings' statements and told Dad that he need do nothing of the kind. The vehicle was too old to pay duty on, was exempt from emissions papers, and no entry papers were needed for cars over (something like) 10 years old. Armed with the new information, he went back to the DMV and walked out with his transferable NYS registration.

I purchased a '28 Buick (poor shape but all there & rolling) in Emerson, Ontario a couple years ago. The owner did not have a title for it but had prior checked at the border for me. Upon my entry to Canada I also checked and found that all needed was a signed bill of sale from the seller with the VIN & descriptive data included ... with contact info for both parties. Later back at the border crossing with the car on trailer the Customs folks questioned me about the transaction but there was no real problem.

I did not register this one, but when doing one that has some unique twists to the ownership - I first call DMV to see what they need. Once I have it together I go there in person and avoid postal delays with questions.

Old Buicks in Baraboo