SMES upgrade for a T-II

Guest Anthenium

Guest Anthenium

Hey, anyone got a "Black Box" from an 88 or 89 Turbo II Daytona, or a Mopar Performance Stage 2 for a Turbo II 2.2? I'm looking to upgrade the Red Car's computer, and I'm not havning much luck on EvilBay.

Thanks,

Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowancom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Tony-Dont you need to vist your brother in Orlando? Going to the Tigers game today--84 outside-top DOWN. </div></div>

Well, he moved to New Mexico...But I do need to visit him!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwinCamFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the one made by, ahh, anyone recall his name(?), in Portland OR. </div></div>...

PolyBushings.com

Alan </div></div>

Thanks!

I took the 89 T-II out this weekend. I declare Winter OFFICIALLY Over! grin.gif

I found an SMEC from an '89 ShelbyZ I'll be Popping in later this week. So, this, a sway-bar, and an Exhaust are the plans for this year. Should be a little better running...

Tony

..."little Better" Ha! It's going to be night and day difference after those three things cool.gif. You will have enough fuel to cover the exhaust/SMEC-as long as your injectors are flowing well. Might pull em off and have them cleaned/flowed by a reputable shop. No, the tune up in a bottle is not gonna cut it blush.gif, the shop will clean them, check the spray pattern and the flow rate for about $20. each. RC Engineering does the work. It's about $40-$45.ea for a new set if thats easier.

Get a frnd to drive the 90 and line up with the 89 in a wide open place, one of you honk three times and on the third honk...

Alan

Guest My TC Toy

Who said "Winter Is Officially Over"? I just got cleaned up from a 20 cm dump, That's 8" of snow for our US friends and am right now in the middle of another 40-60cm dump (16"-24").

I wish someone would tell Mother Nature that Winter was over. Oh Well,in another 10 weeks or so I will be able to take the TC out with little fear of snow or salt,at least we hope.

Here's hoping for summer!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: My TC Toy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who said "Winter Is Officially Over"? I just got cleaned up from a 20 cm dump, That's 8" of snow for our US friends and am right now in the middle of another 40-60cm dump (16"-24").

I wish someone would tell Mother Nature that Winter was over. Oh Well,in another 10 weeks or so I will be able to take the TC out with little fear of snow or salt,at least we hope.

Here's hoping for summer!!! </div></div>

Actually, I did...I drive a Beater '95 Subie Outback during the winter, with a set of Blizzak's! I got cocky, and took the Blizzak's off. Then we got 8" here in The Motor City as well. For 2 days I was Slippin' & Slidin'. Even with AWD, Street tires were NOT cutting it. BLIZZAK's Rule in the Snow! And Burton Snowboards Rule on the Slopes. whistle.gif

Guest My TC Toy

See what you get for being cocky and embarrasing Mother Nature!!! We actually had some sun today, but I took no chance and wouldn't look, that way we might get some more tomorrow.

At any rate 'COME ON SUMMER'.

Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowancom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Headed to Palm Beach for Barrett Jackson. 3 days of 83-sunshine-walking around looking at millions of dollars in cars. Life is GOOD! </div></div>

Yes! Life is Good. We had 40 Degrees of Sunshine yesterday. Drove the Red car with the hard top in place, looking around at Urban Sprawl, and dodging pot holes... crazy.gif

Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: david_simons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the part number for an 88-89 daytona T-II SMEC? </div></div>

From the TC Pages/Performance:

A less expensive option is to find an SMEC from a '88 or '89 Daytona Turbo22. The part number to look for is ('88) 5233246 or ('89) 5235069.

I put in a unit from an '88 Daytona Shelby Z this weekend. Pretty easy swap. Pulled the battery, removed 2 electrical connections, and 2 screws into the firewall, and "Finagled" (That's a Technical term grin.gif) the old unit out. I had to remove the air-inlet from the old one, and slip it on the new one, and reverse the process for installation. I went to take if for a test drive, and it wouldn't start...

So I check for "Codes" by turning the key off & on 5 times, and got a 12 (Battery has been disconected recently) and a 43, which has several possibilities, one of which is Power Failure to Logic Module. Sounds logical, since I had just changed it. So I took it back off, cleaned up the connections, put it back in, and it fired right up! I took it for a 20 mile test drive, and all was running smoothly. I decided to "Get On it", now that it was warmed up, and there were not major issues apparent. From a dead stop to Freeway speeds I could notice a reasonable improvement. I'd guess a 2 second improvement on 0 - 80 acceleration. It's by no means a "Street Killer" now, but it doesn't seem slow anymore. And in traffic when you step on it the turbo is spooling up right away, and then you go. It's nice...The Sway Bay should be here later this week!

Guest Anthenium

Okay, I have a question. I have found on Craiglist a Mopar Performance Stage 2 computer for the Turbo II. It sounds like what the TC Pages refers to here:

a) Mopar Performance lists an '89 Turbo2 Stage2 SMEC. This unit is now NS-1 (discontinued) but if

you're able to find one, list price is $295. This unit is truly a plug-and-play operation; the boost is set at 14 lb, the boost schedule is much better and overboost limit is raised slightly, while timing/fuel curves are unchanged from stock. This SMEC makes a huge difference in any T II 2.2, reducing turbo response time and increasing horsepower to about 200 hp without sacrificing drivability or fuel economy. If using this unit, use one-step-colder...

What the seller actually has is a "Black Box" that went into the Passenger side kick panel of his Daytona Shelby Z. I remember the Shelby Charger I had, and it had a similar box. Does the Chrysler TC have a similar Black Box in the kick panel? Would I be able to use this module, or will I be saving it for a Shelby Z project?

That "black box" is the logic module from an 87 or earlier year. The earlier cars had the logic module in the car and the power module under the hood.

I never looked at the TC but it would be all under the hood. 88 was SMEC for the US Mopars, 89 and later was the SBEC for US cars.

Single Module Engine Co

Single Board Engine

Guest Anthenium

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Reichert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That "black box" is the logic module from an 87 or earlier year. The earlier cars had the logic module in the car and the power module under the hood.

I never looked at the TC but it would be all under the hood. 88 was SMEC for the US Mopars, 89 and later was the SBEC for US cars.

Single Module Engine Co

Single Board Engine </div></div>

Makes sense, as my Shelby Charger was an '87, and the last year they made them...I still got a GREAT Deal on this piece, $50, and I may find a use for it someday!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge,