Window Rubber Gaskets

Guest keith_l

Guest keith_l

I was wondering on the availability for the rubber gaskets for the windsheild and the rear window. Are these easy to purchase? Thanks.

Mine was bad in spots along the top. I used Black silicone caulk to fill in/build back up. I then spray painted it to make it look new. I think it looks good. When I met up with some of the guys down at Maniks farm there were no adverse comments...

Guest wally888

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine was bad in spots along the top. I used Black silicone caulk to fill in/build back up. I then spray painted it to make it look new. I think it looks good. When I met up with some of the guys down at Maniks farm there were no adverse comments... </div></div>

Has anyone tried this on the seals on a ragtop?

Hmm,

This is a problem which we as Reatta owners are going to be forced to deal with in the foreseeable future. As pointed out, the front and rear windshield gaskets are part of the glass, and not available or serviceable separately. Further, the door/window seals are also no longer available.

What to do? Well, in the case of the door seals, at some point if there is sufficient interest amongst a group of owners, maybe we can persuade a company that makes weather stripping for classic cars to make new ones. There are a couple of these companies around.

Obviously, there is a fair amount of tooling cost to set up for something like this, so I am not sure how we would persuade some outfit to do this. Clearly, they would need to believe it profitable make this worth their while. Pilkington is making windshields, so maybe this isn't such a stretch.

The rear window gasket seems to be the biggest problem, it is most prone to exposure related breakdown from what I've seen. There is no easy solution to this. I am planning to use black Silicone caulk to touch mine up, but not sure how I will get a decent looking finish this way. Also, the caulk is too glossy, and is not paintable so getting that matte look is probably not possible with this approach.

I thought of using 3M undercoating spray (black rubber in a can) to "repaint" the gasket but this presents some problems:

1. I would have to mask _everything_ (roof, rear window, sail panels, trunk lid, sides of car, windshield, etc) to prevent over spray and splatter.

2. Would the adhesion be good enough not to simply peel off after a few months? Not sure of the durability of such a repair.

3. If it starts to come off, then what? I'd never be able to get the gasket looking decent again. This is a "one-shot, don't screw it up" kind of situation. Not sure I want to chance it.

Just my thoughts, I am open to suggestions.

KDirk

I have had good luck with the silicone caulk. Look for a "paintable" caulk. First tape off all the painted areas. Then apply caulk. I used my finger to smooth it out. Allow to dry. Paint with a spray paint in the sheen level you want. I did this for the first time about 12 years ago on my Mustang. Since then I have done it on other cars also including the Reatta.

I have been satisfied with the results.

Daves89-

Thanks for the tip. I will look for paintable silicone caulk. Probably best to use a dark color. What I had planned to use was 100% Silicone II (GE brand) in black. This is a non-paintable variety. I assume what you used was siliconized latex caulk (or sometimes known as Plumber's caulk). You say you did it 12 years ago, is this repair still holding up, or was it redone, and if so after how long?

KDirk

For clarifacation I painted all the black trim on my Mustang 12 years ago. I caulked and painted my daughters Honda Prelude 7 years ago and it still looked good when we sold the car about 4 years ago.

I used a paintable silicone that was black in color. It was not a painters caulk.

With the weatherstripping being part of the windshields that are used on the Reattas, I don't know of another way to fix this issue.

As I said before I am pleased with the results and am just passing on what works for me. Maybe someone has a different idea.

BTW my car is garage kept 365 days a year.