Converting non A/C '63 to factory A/C. Any tips, tricks, help?

jimtash

• 1 month later...
Guest Riviator

Several years ago I installed aftermarket air from Old Air products in Texas. I used a cool only system and retained the original heater controls, then hid the thermostat and fan speed controls under the dash. I used an original style compressor, not the Sanden, so I could use the original style brackets. The most difficult parts to find at the time were the alternator bracket with the ears for the compressor, the brace that runs between the intake manifold and the back of the compressor, then converting over to double pulleys. That brace really helps with vibration. There's also a 'C' shaped bracket at the back of the compressor that mounts to the block. Removing that bolt in the block was not easy on a never rebuilt engine. I eventually added a fan shroud and a clutch fan. The system while living in Florida was just OK, but now living in Asheville, it works great. In five years I've had absolutely no problems. If you want authenticity this is not the greatest, my car is hardly a showcar, but is a great driver with 61,000 miles.

Good luck!

Brian

1963 Riviera Marlin Blue

Thanks Brian. When I start the conversion it and you have time, any help would be appreciated.

BTW, if you see me around town, don't hesitate to stop and say hello. I try and get mine out at least once a week if the weather is nice. And there's a car show being held every Saturday night on Leicester Hwy in the west side of town. I'll try and make it there as well. Stop by with your Rivi and say hello.