65' Riviera - Power Steering

Ron Luchene

I recently completed some work on my power steering including a swap to a 71' Riv steering box. My power steering comes and goes as in I have power steering as I begin to turn but I have to muscle it around a tight corner. I can tell that I still have some air in the system by the number of bubbles still appearing in the pump. I have read in the chassis manual that I may need to bleed the system but I have not found any instructions on how to do this. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

According to my 63 manual you bleed the system this way: Make sure oil level in reservoir is correct. Start engine and let it idle for at least three minutes, make sure oil level is still correct. Then turn the wheels slowly back and forth a few times to their full range but do not hold against the stops. Recheck oil level again and be sure there are no leaks. You may have to do this a few times, driving the car in between and letting it cool off.

Don,

Thanks for the tip. I have repeated this process several times and while I have seen slight improvment it still isn't correct. I just had the pump rebuilt and I question whether or not I am getting the output I should have. I really don't have a way to confirm it. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Is the pump noisy? It did say air bubbles in the fluid may cause a buzzing sound and are hard to get rid of. If you have no leaks the only other thing I can think of is belt tension, is it tight enough? A slipping belt could cause the cutout you describe, although I think you would hear it sqealing. As far as output I can't help, you would need to know the requirement for the 71 gear you have swapped in.

Ron,

Check to make sure that the clamps on the return line are tight. If not, air could be drawn in and yet not show a fluid leak. Also as Don said, make sure the drive belt is in good shape and properly tightened. I wouldd also contact the rebuilder and ask for some assistance.

Good Luck,

Tim McCluskey