Headlights Fixed! (All 4)

CReichert

Hi all-<BR> <BR>Just wanted to drop a note to say that I followed Barney's directions for fixing both the headlight bellcrank and the 3 plastic rollers (ordered from Eckler's). I am proud to say that all headlight are now in perfect working order. One needed a bellcrank and three needed rollers. What was amazing is that there were 3 different styles of gear assemblies between the two cars (89 and 90)! Maybe it's the yearly differences or the left and right side differences? Don't know. Regardless, thanks Barney for the info and instructions on the repair. I wouldn't have attempted it without your help. <P>CTR

Barney-<P>You are right, one came out the back, one pulled out the front and these were on the 89. The 90 pulled out the back and was different than the other two on the 89. Maybe the 89 had a non-factory drive shaft in it??? I've only had the car for a year so it could have been repaired before. Do you know why there is a difference in this part on the 89? <P>CTR

I don't understand what you mean by different gear assemblies. Up to a point, the right and left side are the same.<P>They use the same white gear and output shaft assembly but one goes out the back of the gearbox and the other side goes out the gear box cover.<P>On the side that does through the cover (pretty sure that is the passanger side) there is an interferrence when you try and remove the white gear assembly. That is because the "teeth" on the gear are not cut all the way across the face and the lip catches on the motor "worm" With a little pressure it will pop out.