Elusive parts or new manufactured parts

Hi,<P>I'm a mechanical engineer and I want to start a business. Basically and I want to see if there is a market for somebody like me to manufacture elusive part for car enthusiasts like you.<P>I was at a vintage car race in Pittsburgh this week end and a friend of mine as an 1959 OSCA and blew a head gasket but had no replacement nor drawings to replace it. I offered my services to him so that I would supply him with engineering drawings and replacement gasket.<BR>He also requires a stepped block stud since one the existing stud hole was stripped and helicoiled!!! This is the reason the head gasket blew since he couldn't torque the head properly.<P>What I'd like from you is feed back to see if there is a need.<BR>Thanks<P>Sebastien Landry P.Eng.<BR>Application Engineer<BR>613-822-1765 ext 111

I've been doing this kind of stuff for Jaguars for a while now. Not as an engineer but as a design & production coordinator. I usually just find a machine shop that doesn't mind making a short production run and coordinate with enthusiasts to make sure they'll have a few sales.<P><a href="http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/engr/index.html">Garage Engineering</a><P>If you set yourself up so that you were active in the community and people knew they could come to you for custom fabbed parts, I bet you would keep busy. And if you kept the plans for the parts, and made them available to parts resellers as well as enthusiasts, you could have quite a little business going on.<P>And if you had the startup capital to pay me, I would gladly help you with marketing, distribution, design, customer relations, sales, and everything else. I love helping design these parts. Wish I could do it more!<P>Moving to Canada would take some getting used to but I'd do it!!<P>Bry<P>[oopsie, typo! rolleyes.gif" border="0 ]<p>[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: Bry in Virginia ]