Citicar (let the jokes begin)

Ron Green

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just as a follow up: I was "shocked" to learn that my long time insurance carrier Hagerty will not insure any electric vehicle regardless of year, make and model. The agent had no issues with driving and insuring a car the goes on land or water, just one that is DC powered. Go figure!</div></div>

Now that is odd! What is their rationale for this? They could be playing with bad press not insuring <span style="color: #009900">GREEN </span>cars. Its a double whammy in this case, It's a <span style="color: #009900">Green's, green </span>car!

I like Hagerty however they have a new underwriter and I suspect this may have something to do with it? They were pretty adamant about no insurance and the voodoo of owning an electric vehicle. Now I'm stuck with finding another antique carrier as they all go under one company as I won't spread them out.

Guest Albert

Well if you need a manual, I may be able to lay my hands on one, as there is a citi car less than a mile from my house at a a friends shop, needs batterys but other wise looks good, not even any sludge in the gas tank...LOL

The HCCA has an Electric Car Registry as an affiliated group. They even put on an annual (SLO-O-O-OW) tour. While their cars are pre-World-War-II (unlike most of HCCA which is pre-World-War-I), they may have figured out the insurance problem in a way that would accommodate a Citicar. It wouldn't hurt to ask. The contact is Gregg Lange, (989) 792-2840. I don't have an e-mail address.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Albert: I would be interested in a 1976 manual as I have a 1975 which is close but there are slight changes.

Susan: I had Taylor for many many years however they will not insure Amphicars, plus for some reason are selective on Corvettes as they will not insure mine for some reason.

Oldcarfudd: thank you for the HCCA information. Even though HCCA is familiar with the old electrics DC is DC and can probably help me out.

I have been informed from my wife Val that the Citicar is now hers since I sold here 67 GTO. Talk about apples and oranges. I wonder how much she knows about wiring harnesses? smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been informed from my wife Val that the Citicar is now hers since I sold here 67 GTO. Talk about apples and oranges. I wonder how much she knows about wiring harnesses? smile.gif </div></div>

Trust me, men that sell a car their wife likes will pay. Just ask Bill about the '58 Chevy Biscayne. whistle.gifgrin.gif

• 1 month later...

Posting this as a follow up.

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">finally</span> got insurance for the Citicar (Lester = named after the integral battery charger). I tried my best to use JC Taylor however they still have stringent restrictions on an Amphicar and want all my antique vehicles, or no deal. mad.gif

Spoke to a few others and ended up with Grundy. Quick, nice and reasonable ($114 year) and they did not hold me hostage regarding switching my other cars over them. Next stop DMV for a tag however it runs fairly well without one. wink.gif

The concept of an electric car has always been interesting to me.

I saw a red Citi car at a local junk yard about 5 years ago. It looked like it could be brought back to life with out too much work. They would not sell it, and would not give a reason so I assumed that they had title or vin issues. I have an old EZ Go golf cart, that is fun to play with. Check out the movie "Who killed the electric car" about the plight of GM's EV1. Who knows, maybe in 30 years our kids will be collecting Chevy Volts!

JalopyBob, for as few that were made (Citicar) they seem to be everywhere now of days. When Citicar went bankrupt after producing approximately 2,200 cars ComutaCar bought everything and produced another 2,000 or so cars. They look almost identical to the Citicar and many parts are interchangeable with the exception of the front bumpers.

Parts are somewhat hard to find however I was lucky and have almost a whole parts car. Values are starting to creep up on these and the low end torque when starting out is incredible.

I am familiar with the EV1 story and it is a sad tale as they were decent cars that were for lease only. The owners really had a lot of good to say about them. Thanks to our government most were crushed due to regulations being waved or lifted.