Citicar (let the jokes begin)

Ron Green

Thinking of buying one of these unusual, dare I say cars. The only massed produced electric vehicle every offered as I understand it. Parts are available. Unsure what they are selling for so I haven't yet made an offer. Can't be that much.

It would make a great little vehicle to buzz around a campground, use around town after getting to a show, etc. Wife works 3 blocks from home it would be perfect. It will also fit in the front of the car trailer as it doesn't take up much room. It may will even fit in the bed of a pick up. Make it amphibious!

CitiCar = (Production 1974-76 appox 2,500 units)

Motor = General Electric Series Wound DC 3.5 HP

Drivetrain = Single speed axle

Controller = Curtis 1205-211 36-48 Volt 275 Amp

Batteries = 8 Trojan T-125, 6.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, Flooded

System Voltage = 48 Volts

DC/DC Converter = three 48 Volt to 5 Volt high frequency outputs in series

Top Speed = 35 / 40 MPH

Range = 35 / 50 miles depending on speed / batteries

Seating Capacity = 2 adults

Curb Weight = 1,300 Pounds

post-30758-143137969933_thumb.jpg

Ron,some day corner me and let me tell you about a man who was an Olds dealer in Chicago Heights, Illinois in the early 70's who opened a small dealership for these cars. I can still picture them in front of his small A-frame office on Western Ave. I have a pretty funny story in this regard! Good luck, there are some of these around but I will bet not too many in your neighborhood! Put a Pontiac emblem on the front and you are good to go! grin.gif

True story. My brother is an electrical engineer, and he bought one used around 1985. I had just gotten married and my wife and if fought over 1 car. So my brother loaned me his Citicar. It was my daily driver for almost a year. I didn't much like taking it on main streets and pretty much stuck to neighborhood streets. It was to slow to keep up. On top of that it was like driving a buckboard. Virtually no suspension and about a rickety as could be.

At the time I worked at an office that had an adjacent warehouse so i'd pull it in, park it in a corner and plug it in.

I do have one memorable moment with it... I was attending to the batteries under the seat one day and tightening down the terminals. I had a metal wrench in my hand tightening 1 terminal when my wedding ring touched the top of the opposing terminal - completing the circuit. Lets just say that a simple gold wedding band glows a beautiful red. smile.gif

Peter

A friend restored one and drove it for 3 years and sold it. As I recall the range of miles was closer to the low end even with new batteries and the speed was also on the low end unless you were going down a steep hill. It rattled a lot but was a lot of fun to play with.

We currently have a '15 Milburn Electric in the shop awaiting restoration. I was thinking of taking it to Melbourne but it won't fit in our enclosed trailer. Seriously though, there is an expanding interest among collectors re microcars in general. Google microcar and you might be surprised. They have their own club, shows and publication. The yellow Thrif-T-Car that was shown last 2 years at Hershey has been in numerous publications and has generated lots of interest. Microcars are the new Duesenbergs.

Wow. I didn't expect all these comments, especially not getting ribbed to much for considering buying one.

My friends told me I was crazy when I bought the Amphicar before they took off so maybe there is something to collecting the strange and unusual? The motors on these can be tweaked to 6 HP from 3.5 fairly easy and the Optima made for high drain (yellow) batteries are 10 times better then what was available in the 70's. Scary don't even have it and already working on it in my head.

Wayne, Quote; "Didn't someone once say that water and electricity don't match" That never stopped Amphicar from putting in Lucas electrics.

Steve, the Olds dealer didn't eat to well selling these. I could put a Pontiac emblem on it and call it a Star-Light or Citi-Chief.

Bob, replied to your PM.

Susan, I have a picture of the one I'm looking at however I didn't post it as I don't have permission from my friend, plus we are entering the negotiating stage.

Doug, I sent you a PM.

Peter, the suspension does remind one of a golf cart. A good safety reminder, take your rings, etc off when tinkering.

I have a friend not far from here that has one. He has been collecting some of these small and unusual vehicles the last several years. I think they are neat and they do hold a place in our automotive history. He tell's me that the prices have been climbing the last few years. smile.gif Dave!

A friend of mine has one at his shop right now, to work on.. it also has a 12v battery as well for the extras, like wipers and radio under the hood..

Guest ChrisSummers

Someone named "Green" owning an electric car...that works very well!

The first Citicar I ever saw was at Bellm's in Florida. Like all of their smaller cars, it was displayed above visitors's heads, secured to the wall about ten feet up with strong cable. Made quite an expression on a 6-year-old kid--both the car, and the display.

Everything old is new again. I just saw an electric car given away on the Price Is Right game show on Monday this week. The car looked more like a golf cart as used in the football games, sort of a rounded cab with a flat back. But supposedly street legal. I forget the manufacturer but the price is right puzzle said the retail price was $9,579.

4 years ago the local Buick dealer had several street legal golf carts for sale. Here in NY that means wipers, defroster, seat belts, and signal lights. I think these were gas powered and if I recall right the price was right around $5,300 or so.

I was almost tempted, but it didn't have a tinted windshield grin.gif.

Since I posted this Citicar's seem to be surfacing, at least around this area from the PM's, etc I have been receiving. I would have thought most would have been further south because of weather.

Here is a picture of me in a Messerschmitt at a micro-meet last summer in Canada. The owner was very nice showing me everything and allowing me to sit in it (insisted) however he wouldn't give me the keys (tried). The Amphicars (12) stopped in for a visit and it was a great time.

post-30758-143137970312_thumb.jpg

post-30758-143137970314_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's some incentive to go with the car Ron, Check out the Total $18,652.00 bottom line! </div></div>

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this form as it has taken a while to convince her that the Citicar is / was actually a car. smile.gif She was telling me if we get it she would drive it to work and seemed excited which is rare with her and old cars. I must keep the golfcart image from her, plus she nicknames all the vehicles. smirk.gif

• 3 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told that there are only 50 of these in operational condition.</div></div>

The rest still have SPAM in them. smirk.gifgrin.gif

Just kiddin' Ron. It is very cute and I hope to see it in person someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Val, I mean West. smirk.gif

FYI, I was told that there are only 50 of these in operational condition. </div></div>Ron, I think that statement is like the black '54 Corvette being one of ten built. I know of at least 4 Citicars that run. The red one in Hershey is back in action. Maybe you two Sparkys can drag race?

Near, I may have to get the Hershey sparky to show the Camp Hill sparky insights on the Lester charging system as I believe mine took out a charging diode. frown.gif Will know by weeks end as I search through the shop manual. confused.gif Do have a lot of spare parts almost a whole car.

Wayne, technically it operates, I just can't recharge the batteries. smirk.gif

Just as a follow up: I was "shocked" to learn that my long time insurance carrier Hagerty will not insure any electric vehicle regardless of year, make and model. The agent had no issues with driving and insuring a car the goes on land or water, just one that is DC powered. Go figure!