Youth Stories. PLEASE HELP!

Steve Moskowitz

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> We are trying to publish a new upgraded version of Wheels for our 12 years old and under members. Any stories or ideas that would help would be appreciated. We need pictures! Fathers and son articles or grandparents, etc. Send us the good stuff to National Headquarters. Atten: Wheels or to lgawel@aacalibrary.org <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

Steve,

For the 2008 SE Spring Meet at Charlotte AutoFair, I'm going to do the program for CHIPS about collecting from a young age to adulthood; how it starts, grows, changes, gets finessed, etc. This will all be based on my own lifelong collecting experience from about age 8 to 50; gosh, that's <span style="font-style: italic">so</span> old! LOL. It was my Grampa that got me started.

English_Display_Case_X.jpg

Since not every kid has a Platinum AMEX card at their disposal, it'll be focused on what's affordable, easy & fun to display, share and expand upon. There's plenty out there that young ones with allowance, paper route, babysitting or lawn mowing money can buy.

Emblems_1.jpg

It's gonna be a <span style="font-style: italic">blast</span>, and I betcha the grownups could learn a thing or two, to boot!

We'll follow it up with a story and pix in <span style="font-style: italic">Wheels</span>.

Lloyd_Kathy_Tom_1961.jpg

Just wish I hadn't wrecked that '60 Ford Galaxie promo!

TG_Car_Costume.jpg

TG (Tom Gibson)

AACA 100691

I have been in the car stuff, since I was a little guy, with my grandpa, we worked on the old '21 chevy and '41 dodge when I was 2 or 3, would you be interested in maybe doing a story and some pics? My grandma wanted to do a kids book about the 41 dodge. Let me know, I could also write articles as well, since, I am 19 and I am not to far removed from being a kid!

The approach is going to be what a young one can collect affordably. My own experience, and where the meager emblem collection began, was in the fields around my Grampa's long-closed Standard Oil gas station and body shop. All that was left in the early-'60's of the clapped-out hulks were the shiny chrome and brass emblems. They were free for the taking, so I took; with urban and rural zoning, that avenue is mostly closed these days. With a few dollars at a swap meet, you can get what appeals to you.

But, opportunities still abound, and starting out young in something parents can approve of and nurture is key. Go with a few bucks to a yard sale or thrift store and buy old Sat Eve Posts, Nat Geo's, etc. Take 'em home and cut out the colorful car ads (especially the 2-pagers), then make color copies (<span style="font-style: italic">very</span> cheap these days) to size for book & folder covers. You have a unique thing that expresses your interest, is sharable and instantly recognizable.

"Littles," as they're called in the biz, are perfect for small people with limited space. Things like VFW Idento-tags, obsolete ink blotters and other paper items (ephemera) can be assembled in cool scrapbooks. Hat & lapel pins and tie tacks can be picked up inexpensively, then worn. You could write volumes about this, and I guess now I'll need to do just that.

And always, there are toy cars and trucks, of which you can never have too many. <span style="font-style: italic">Collect Them All</span>! When I was a kid, my folks knew that for birthdays & Christmas, perfect contentment was achieved with a couple of the latest Matchbox Series Models of Yesteryear; the little ones I could afford myself. The ones that I didn't destroy (very creatively, in retrospect) are still displayed, proudly, and make a colorful conversation piece on my dining room wall. The wooden shadow box is a fluorescent light fixture cover; cars include M-box, Tomica, Impy and more.

Dining_Room_Color_X.jpg

In a (slightly long) nutshell, the early encouragement by my elders led to a lifetime of pleasure and focus that has grown and been refined (and <span style="font-style: italic">redefined</span>) all my life. <span style="font-style: italic">That's</span> what I'm going to try to impart to anyone who'll listen.

Regards,

TG

Archived