anti-theft system... HELP!!

Reatta_Cruzin

Once in a while I go to start my car, nothing happens. No lights, no dash, no crank, no nothing. The only thing that does happen in that the security light is on and it doesn't flash. If I let it sit there for a few minutes without touching anything, it will start right up like nothing was ever wrong. I've even tried to unhook the battery to clear computer, but that doesn't work. What do I need to do to fix this without taking it to the dealership and paying their outrageous rates. <P>Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

that exact situation happened to me about 4 mths ago nothing would work even couldnt open the trunk. i disconnected the battery and it subsided. dont want that to happen again. good luck.

Sounds like a failure of the Theft Deterrant Relay. When tripped what happens is the lights will flash, horn will sound, and engine will not start for approximately seven minutes, then normal operation resumes.<BR>(from my 1988 owners manual - look for "theft deterrent").<P>The security light being on constantly indicates that it is armed but you are only getting part of it - the starter interrupt and not the lights (other than the "security" light or horns both of which are controlled by the TDR (and we know about Reatta relays).<P>Just for fun, the next time it happens, get out of the car and lock/unlock the door with the key (do not need to close it). See if the car starts. <P>Mine has tripped on me on rare occasions automagically usually when closing the door. Then I just unlock the door with the key and it heals.<P>Note: mine is an '88. YMMV. Notary sojack.

Padgett, I've already tried that and it does not work. I've also tried to unhook the battery and nothing. I just have to let it sit there and let it disengauge itself. Do you think just changing the relay will cure it or is there more to it than that?<P>Thanks,<BR>Jason- Reatta_Cruzin confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

Oh yeah, my horn and park light/driving lights will go off when I do set the alarm off. Usually when I flip the door handle and it snaps back hard. But when nothing happens at all, I don't do anything to it to set the alarm off. It's like telling me that she's not quite ready to roll yet. rolleyes.gif" border="0