cockpit covers by waxbgone

Guest gryfan

i am looking to contact Waxbgone who posted some information about covers he had made to cover the cockpit area of the reatta.it looks great ...i was wondering how to get in contact with him and if those covers would be available to purchase.if Waxbgone reads this he could post info about where he had the cover made ie a phone number of the shop where they made etc.the post is on page 53 ,along with some great pictures. thanks gryfan

I was in PM contact with waxbegone after he posted the cockpit cover pix. He had the cockpit covers made by

Slater and Son

3951 Venice Road

Sandusky OH 44870

He had two made, one for the coupe and one for the convertible. Cost was $266. for materials, and $270. for labor, for both. I understand they <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">did not</span></span> make a template.

I never did follow up; I bought a full cover from Barney.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

S.

Guest steveskyhawk

2 questions:

What do you do with the cover if it has rained and it is wet when you want to go home? Putting a wet cover in the trunk will do more harm than letting the car sit uncovered in the rain.

How many 30 dollar full size covers can you buy on ebay for the cost of one of these custom little covers. At 30 bucks you can throw it away if it gets wet or dirty and get a new one. Been there.

stanley,i did call the owner ,chris slater , at slater and son...and she indicated to me that there was a pattern made and she is pretty sure that it still exists.chris has to check with the seamstriss. gryfan

Gyrfan,

That's great if they saved a pattern. I wonder if we can get a group discount if a bunch of us ordered them.

Steve,

The Sunbrella material (used on the cockpit covers and Barney's best cover) is so light and waterproof that even wet you can shake it off and get most of the water off before putting it in the trunk.

S.

stanley,i was thinking the same thing about the discount.i am sure if several of us were to order at one time they could give us a discount.as far as the previous comment about buying a cheap full cover and throwing it away.....why?.......get a good quality one that one can shake off the water and place it in the trunk.i used to own a miata and had a similiar item that worked very well.the size advantage is also to be considered.the cockpit cover is much smaller than the whole cover.it also keeps prying eyes away from the car.i would find it a pain to put the whole cover on all the time but the smaller one is much more convenient to use and thus used more frequently. stanley what do you own ....year? coupe?vert?....gryfan

Guest steveskyhawk

Stanley,

If a cover is "waterproof" then it will hold moisture in as well as out. Condensation = trouble. Someone also mentioned the door ding problem which is partially solved by a full cover. The best thing to keep out the UV is a tree without birds in it.

Guest steveskyhawk

Sounds good to me. A cover can cause as much damage as it prevents. When the wind blows it can beatup the paint. I wonder if it is good to cover a car at all unless the car is spotlessley clean as well as the cover.

barney,i have contacted the owner of pop top covers.his name is john allen,and he is interested in making a cockpit cover for a reatta.he said he may even have a cover that might fit the needs of a reatta.the material he uses is called Dupont Tyvek.he said that it is water resistant from rain etc. but will let moisture out.he has made many tops for various cars and would like to make a pattern or sample for a reatta.he would like one of our members who live in , california, ,actually near Magic Mountain in LA ,to bring a reatta by so he could get some measurements.if anyone is interested his number is ....661-257-7380. his price would be less than a hundred dollars if he decides to make them or he may even have one that fits from another car. gryfan

Didn't I buy a cockpit cover from Barney....recall our California friend Alf having something to do with designing or providing a template .... (maybe), and the company that Barney markets for making some....(maybe). I sure have one that I bought from some source that originated from the forum confused.gif

Nic,

I also think I remember something about Alf "helping" Barney in some way with the design of the top you own . . . and that it's been a few years ago now that it was made available from Barney to convertible owners.

Uh, gee, I was wondering . . . Nic, can you post a photograph of yours and Barney, are they are still available?

Hey There Nittany...thanks for the reply (and support smile.gif ).

The cover that I purchased is up in the attic (somewhere...)

I used it the 1st summer that I bought it, but have not since. Maybe if I had a garage rather than a carport I would have used it more. From what I recall it appeared nice, but it was never rain or weather tested in my possession...... I just read another post when someone is suggesting a prototype that might lead to a cockpit cover for < 100.00 made out of Dupont material. I am not sure, but I "MAY" have paid in excess of a hundred for the one I bought. Sorry I can not be more help on this....Barney should be able to shed a great deal of light on the subject......

Covercraft did make the Reatta pattern from Alf's car, he got a free one for his efforts.

The advantage to the Covercraft cockpit cover is it is available in several materials and several prices.

This Pop Top company sounds like they would like to make both versions (cockpit and top cover.) If they are any good, they would want to have a car for the pattern.

Did they quote a price for their cover? I looked on the web site and didn't see anything about pricing.

barney,i did speak to john allen the owner.he did say based on what he sees, from the pictures he has seen....the cost would be less than $100.00.having said that he would like a member car to measure from.if we could get a volunteer to take his car to magic mountain area of los angeles for a measurement session that would be great.i have further details re location if anybody would be interested in allowing their car to be measured. gryfan ps. it is the cockpit cover i discussed with him not the full cover.he said he makes many covers and may already make one for another car that may fit a reatta.