'90 Convert DASH or COPMUTER Questions-PLEASE help

rrs814

I've bugged you all many times, so please forgive me.

Re: Instrument "cluster"- when I first got this car, all was OK. Within a few weeks it was "blank, then error" back to normal, then nothing....some of you know) "in and out". So I had it fixed by someone I found here (Steve maybe, back east) on the forum, put it back in, and all seemed pretty "OK" for a few years. The "brake" and "anti-lock" ON will appear and disappear once in a while (which I CAN live with). Before this last "adventure", the odometer and dash lights (radio, heater lights etc) would light up when the doors were opened, and stay on a few minutes when not running, on (of course) at all times when running. My windshield leaked (a lot) and soaked the computer, so I had it replaced. Now nothing lights when doors are opened, but all else works (including brake and anti-lock idiot lights, on...then off....then on. -Diagnostics say all is OK-.

QUESTION- what happens (or is supposed to) on YOUR dash when you open the doors on a convertible? Anyone else experience the intermitent antilock and brake lights (on dash) trouble? Whew! THANKS for ANY input.

post-31380-143137969419_thumb.jpg

post-31380-14313796942_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry so much about the lights but would be concerned about the brake lights being on occasionally. The pressure switch is located on top of the pump/motor and in front of the accumulator. Remove the connector and look inside. If you see any leakage near the pins your switch is bad. Even the tiniest drop of fluid means your pressure switch is bad and could cause the symptoms you describe. I do have a good pressure switch available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

BTW- I do know how to spell "computer"!

It's the "idiot lights" in dash display that stay on, then off for a little while, then back, NOT the actual rear brake lights. BUT.... ANYONE...what lights up (if anything) when you open the doors on your convertible???????????

did you check out your BCM. If your dash lights and interior lights go on and off, that might be a result of your BCM getting wet. Was that the computer you replaced. Your BCM and as well as the EBCM would control the ABS lights and as well as the tail lights.

I would have that checked out.

The diagnostics would tell you if something would be seriously wrong. It wouldn't tell you if something were intermittent except what's in your history. if you need the Codes let me know. I have a repair manual that GM uses.