Feel free to ask any questions he says-

Guest edalfa

We live a stone's throw from the Erie Barge Canal and without a doubt, that car would be in the canal and not found until they drain it in the fall. Whatever, it will not be a loss but it will more than likely let everyone breathe a little easier.

I would not bid $170.00 for it let alone $17,000.

Stevo

Guest ZondaC12

As much as we all love to preserve our beloved Buicks and these are nice looking as they are from the factory....I gotta say I would LOVE to thump around town in that thing. My 87 cougar that simply has 2.5" duals with Flowmasters makes me feel like the king of the world crusin' around...the ego-over-inflation THAT would give me would surely come back to bite me! laugh.gif

If I woke up one morning to that sitting in my driveway, after surviving the initial almost-heart-attack, I'd probably blow well over $100 in gas during that day. Poor thing would be worn right out by dusk!

However I would like to know why some of these drag cars sit so high, particularly this one. confused.gif Also what's a "gasser" anyway?

Guest imported_Thriller

It's like no gasser drag car I've seen before...not that I'm an expert...aerodynamics is a factor and with the body that much above the running gear, it wouldn't be that great.

I can't bear to really read the description or look at the photos...what's the opposite of lowrider?

Guest windjamer

GM pays someone big bucks to design a vech. every one will love. Then some pin.head comes along and with a few hundred bucks changes it to what he thinks is perfect.I wouldnt take that one as a gift.

Paul,

If you want to find out more then you ever wanted to know about gassers go to

http://www.gassermadness.com and read the article about gasser classes.

The classes evolved over the years for example 1958 was basically a stock car with some minor tweaks. No engine setbacks and it had to be street legal.

By 1963 the classes had evolved into real race cars with supercharged engine and none of the stuff required to run on roads. 1963 was the year they broke 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile. The class you were put in was determined by the power to weight ratio of the car.

Some of the more popular body styles were the Williy's and he Anglia's and the Ford Coupes.

IMO and remembering what it was like to see those cars in person, they were some of the best racing I remember. My uncle would take me and we could spend all day watching them on Sundays. They are on par with the Funny Cars now but without the $$$ that teams like Force spends on them.

Here is one for you to look at

CHRR2007_aa_roberts_01_kap.JPG

A Piper Cub (Air plane) takes off at about 90 and stays aloft with a 40 HP 4 cylinder engine.

I can see where these gassers would fly, crash, and burn at one hundred and fifty without wings with just the rush or air going under the body. sick.gifcry.gif..... laugh.gif Dave!

Guest ZondaC12

Thanks for the history lesson guys! smile.gif I know I can always count on this place for that! And I've learned a lot but there's a lot MORE I still don't know yet!