1930's Purolator Oil Filter

Tokyojim2

I'm looking to buy any of the Purolator sealed canister type oil filters. This canister was usually found on the Classics of the 1930's Packards, Cadillacs. The canister is usually painted in Black crinckle sealed top and bottom and attached to the side of the engines.

Please let me know where I can purchase them..

Raleigh NC phone 919-676-1230

Thanks Jim Aldrich

Guest martylum

Jim-the filter you refer to as being attached to the engine is usually a can with a filter element inside. The can is usually attached to the side of top of the engine with bolts.

The filter Curtis shows is a standalone filter and is attached to the firewall with 2 round brackets.

When i removed an original Purolator unit from my 36 Lincoln firewall, it was painted a semi-gloss black with the decal on the side. It had a different decal on which you wrote the mileage when installed and was marked as needing changed in 10,000 miles.

These very early units are about 8" tall and very difficult to find. We plugged off the oil feed lines so whatever is left inside the filter doesn't contaminate the engine oil and repainted and decaled before reinstalling. I don't feel you need a real oil filter when you are driving on modern dust free highways and changing the oil every year.

Martin Lum

Bob Anzalone's version does not include the three contoured notches that some filters used. Probably not significant. Also wanted to mention that generic (no name) oval decal is available from Osborne Reproductions in Georgia. They specialize in decals. Be careful when getting the decal. A number of round and oval ones have "Packard" on it. Not much help if you have a Pierce Arrow, Lincoln or other car. My filter looks like this:

engine_detail8.jpg

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to find out if any of these gentleman mentioned still do replica work incase I cannot find the filter I'm looking for.

I need a Purolator SA-2

It's 8" long x 4 1/2" diameter

If anyone knows where I may find one or can offer any clues I'd appreciate the help. The one I need is the shorter version on the far bottom right in the photos.

post-69994-143142989675_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142989639_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314298965_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142989658_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142989666_thumb.jpg