1965 Riviera headlight Motor

Guest Mohogs

Hey Guys,

Got my hands on a headlight motor for a 65 Riviera. I tried testing it and it doesn't seem to work. Anybody know how to properly test these and how to trouble shoot?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

Ed,

I just connected a wire to each connection on the headlight motor and then put one to positive and another to negative on a general car battery that I have. One of the motors seems to have a short because it sparked and the wires became hot. I also tried reversing the wires, but the same results occured.

John.

1965 Buick Riviera

R.O.A. #11352

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed,

I just connected a wire to each connection on the headlight motor and then put one to positive and another to negative on a general car battery that I have. One of the motors seems to have a short because it sparked and the wires became hot. I also tried reversing the wires, but the same results occured.

John.

1965 Buick Riviera

R.O.A. #11352 </div></div>

Sounds like a great way to ruin a motor...

Darwin Falk

You basically confirmed my suspicions that you were using one wire as a hot wire and the other as a ground. As Dick said, the case is the ground. When you bolt it into the chassis of the car, you complete the circuit. Hopefully this will help, and as Darwin mentioned, hopefully you haven't done any harm.

Ed

I seriously hope that I didn't ruin anything. But what can you do. At least I can learn from it if I have. I'm going to test them now the proper way. Thanks guys for all the help.

John

R.O.A. £11352

I've found out that every electric motor can be rewound by a competent auto electrical shop. Find one who repairs starters, generators, and alternators to do it for you. I had a rear window motor go out on my '84 Riv convertible. As you know, these cars were modified from coupes by ASC. The rear window doesn't roll down on a coupe therefore they had to come up with something for the convertible. None to be found, but then after the fact, I ran across some for sale through Hydro-lectric in FL. Wanted close to $200 for one. The guys at Hunt Electric in KCMO rebuilt mine for $40.00 Don't give up on your motor! It has a winding and a coil in it, and should be able to be rebuilt.

Ed

I took one apart, and it doesn't the mechanics of it dont seem to complicated. I have 5 motors in all and want to restore them so that i can seel a few and keep one for spare if mine should ever stop working. I tested all of them properly and they don't seem to work.

What order of steps should I take to tackle the problem?

I know it has the switches and check for good connections with all the wires. Can't reallt tell if it needs to be rewound. How could you diagnose that?

John

R.O.A. 11352

Smell it - if is smells burned and the armature is black - its history . If not , there is hope . The Motor you speak of is a motor and transmission mounted on the top . The transmission should be reworked as well . Clean , lubed and adjusted . If you take the armature out of the motor be carefull . At the botom of the shaft there is a very small ball bearing and a round piece at the very bottom of the motor housing that can get lost. The ball bearing should be in the end of the shaft. Have fun.

• 2 years later...

Not to hijack this thread, but FYI:

The headlight system on '68/'69 Rivieras are vacuum operated.

You can try and find 'good used' units, which are almost 'unobtanium', or there are new repro units available from GM Obsolete, www.gmobsolete.com .

You should also check all the other components in your system, to ensure there are no additional problems. The vacuum system on these cars can be a royal P.I.T.A. to troubleshoot ! ;)

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)