1953 Buick Super 8 Convertible

BillMadden

Guest 53Nailhead

Great shot Bill !!

Where was that taken & how can I get a copy of the calendar for the garage?

Next time put a little hood candy on it......:D

Les

Guest 53Nailhead
I want a calendar too:cool:

Hey Buddy...get in line...haha

Here's a traffic cam pix of Ol'Wild Bill last week.......Living the Life!!!:cool: :D

post-37446-143138530705_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now here is a biggie,,, Purchased a steering wheel spinner knob on eBay. It had a Corvette emblem in it, (not that there is anything wrong with that) and top half screwed off. I took a reduced pix of my horn button, cut it out and replaced that emblem with the pix of the '53 50th Anniversary emblem. Just had to show somebody........(will remove the excess rubber tape wheel rim protector)

post-47538-143138549286_thumb.jpg

post-47538-143138549291_thumb.jpg

Guest 53Nailhead

Very cool Bill:cool: I believe I need one of those myself.

Careful ya don't catch 'the boys' with it !!!:D

Wooohooo!!! My 400th post & I've only been around since 2004...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 53Nailhead

Hey Les....don't burnout that keyboard eh. ;)

No worries.....the year is 1/2 over so by December I should be up to about 415 posts :D

Love that interior....Looks like Mr. McKey does excellent work.

Guest 53Nailhead
i think what earl is saying, is the back seat missing the middle fold down armrest. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Nope :D

i think what earl is saying, is the back seat missing the middle fold down armrest. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

You don't know MrEarl like we know MrEarl..... He knows it never had a middle armrest and he's also right, the restored backseat is still virgin. (but that red color makes it sorta' hard to tell.

Bill

Guest oldslady liz

wow what a gorgeous job your doing on this spectacular awesome car...i love it......... the style and the color and the convertible...just wows me... good luck with the finishing touches

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I know of a 53' Super Convertible (56C) that's been sitting in a storage

facility the past 20 years. It's in original unrestored condition with the

exception of the top, and only has minor surface rust on the front & rear

bumpers. The driver's door jamb tag lists the following: 3678I564. Do these

numbers provide any clue's and are there other locations that would provide more serial #'s? Also, what is the value of this car in your estimation?

Thanks!

Mark

You're asking for answers to more than one question, Mark. I'll just ask one question.... exactly where is this car located?? Just kidding.

We do need more info to really give you all the answers. The tag on the door jamb is the Vin number and it should also be stamped on the frame. The tag on the cowl will give you the most info about the car, which includes the Year and Model Number, Style Number, Body Number, Trim Number, and Paint Number. (raise the hood and the tag is on passenger side up near the windshield) From this you can determine info about the interior, if it has the original paint color, sequence number of when it was built. My Vin number starts with 5688xxxx, so I would guess yours is an early built car. The value of the car, of course, is based on condition, but knowing that these '53 convertibles are very rare. If you think you have plenty of time to research the car you should post pictures and info on the forum here and get opinions from more than one person.

Has this car been in a covered storage facility or outside and if outside are all the windows intact??If you are not interested in that 'ol junker I'll come back there and get it out of someones way.....

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the reply and offer to take it off the owners hands. The car has

been stored in a nice building that has cement floors and insulated roof.

The car appears to be unrestored as I noticed markings on the firewall

and inside of the hood where the liner once was in place. The glass is in

good condition and the paint isn't too bad either. I'll get more info. this

week and pass it on to you soon!

Thanks again!

Mark

With no further surprises, I can see at least $5000 to make that car a very nice 'driver'. Depending on how untouched it is, it might qualify as a 'survivor' in which case rechroming wouldn't be done. What would be done to it after purchase would affect what might be offered for the car as is. If rodents had gotten into it, that could be a major problem. Also, documentation on the car would be a factor....

Bill

Bill,

My understanding of these VINs is that the first number is the Plant no, my 56R is 2/6927670, which means it was built at Southgate. Mark's car would indicate a build at Linden and yours with a 5 prefix indicates Wilmington. The next number is the plant sequence, so for my car it is the 162,669th car to be assembled at Southgate. The Linden numbers start at 6774001, so Mark's would be the 7,563rd assembled there.

Have I got this right?

Regards

John

To: Bill Madden

Re: Your BODY BY FISHER cowl tag, Post #113

G = Flint

3549 = the 3,549th Super convertible assembled out of a total production number of 6,701 Super convertibles for 1953.

The number 3549 makes sense if you say that it was made in April, 1953.....just beyond the first half of the total production and midway through the production year (November/December 1952 - November 1953 or so).

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...