Cassette player malfunction

I'm not a music guy but like to have things working. When trying to play a tape, the player (instead of playing) makes a clicking sound every 1 - 1.5 seconds, like it's stuck on something. It sounds similar to a thumbnail sliding over another, and then snapping off when reaching the edge. I'm leery of taking it to a run of the mill car-audio shop, where they've never seen a Reatta.

Scott,

Forget the casettes. If you search this forum the information exists to hard wire a mp3 player. I bought an Alpine GPS navigator which has a moving map of course AND an mp3 player. I got the wire harness from Jim Finn and a switch from radio shack. I soldered all connections, put the switch in the "doghouse" and ran the audio input wiring through a vent. Never drilled so much as one hole in the car. Works beautiful. Basically you are fooling the radio into thinking you have a CD player. When you flip the switch the radio accepts audio from the external source.

You have choices here. You can get a single din cd player with an adapter kit, you can get a double din unit that has both cd and tape, and you can opt for the trunk multiple cd changer. If you want to stay absolutely stock, you will have to send the unit to a repairer, of which there are a few, to have it fixed. The tapes were always tempermental, and all the other choices are reverseable, why suffer with it?

You can replace the belts. I did. If you use the search function, there was a former member who went to a great deal of trouble taking step by step photos of the repair. I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago. The job is very time consuming. If you are not a patient person, then I would not suggest you attempt the replacement. The deck unit is built in an almost puzzle like way. Each part seems to interlock with another part, but if you follow his instructions, you can be up and running in a few hours. I just found the link on www.reatta.net. Good luck

http://www.geocities.com/reatta_lover/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveskyhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

Forget the casettes. If you search this forum the information exists to hard wire a mp3 player. I bought an Alpine GPS navigator which has a moving map of course AND an mp3 player. I got the wire harness from Jim Finn and a switch from radio shack. I soldered all connections, put the switch in the "doghouse" and ran the audio input wiring through a vent. Never drilled so much as one hole in the car. Works beautiful. Basically you are fooling the radio into thinking you have a CD player. When you flip the switch the radio accepts audio from the external source.</div></div>

I think that he has a 1st-Generation Reatta, ie-88-89. A bit different, but he can go to my cardomain page and read how to make the adapter for that.

I've replaced the belts on two decks. Not as tough as it seems. As Howard pointed out there is a very detailed article on it. In addition to the belts there is a plastic piece that will crack and eventually prevent the deck from wotking. I have successfully used epoxy to reinforce the piece. I too like to have everything working as designed, but as many will point out the CD/MP3/IPOD adapter option really gives you some flexibility. I have yet to attempt that option.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN HAVING YOUR CASSETTE PLAYER REBUILT:

I HAD MINE REDONE WORKS GREAT.( TOO MANY CASSETTES TO START OVER).

SOUNDWERKS

10745 W.GRAND AVE.

MELROSE PARK, ILLINOIS 60164

(847)451-0787 OWNER 'GUY"

COST: $178.00

DRAKE DARLAK

OSWEGO,ILLINOIS

Free:

What happened when I bought the car from a reputable dealer, here in DeKalb, was he put a sticker in the windshield that said "Everything Works" I got the same noises described, so went back to the dealer who told me to take it to the local dealer "Tom Sparks Buick of Dekalb". They had it fixed by Rex and charged the used car dealer cost. I'm sure he has no record of the transaction as it was 5 years ago.

The do have a website if you do a web search I believe. I can't find it right now.

Downtown Radio Service, Inc

1705 Orr Industrial Court, SuiteB

Charlotte, NC 28213-6464

Phone 1-800-537-0116

Ask for Doug, they did mine last August and have the CD player there now, Cassette was $ 145.00 including shipping..Hank