A/C FAN WILL NOT SHUT OFF! HELP!

Yesterday, I was driving home with my A/C fan running on low when it suddenly kicked onto high all by itself. Then when I stopped the car, it would not shut off. Eventually killed the battery because I couldn't figure out how to shut it off. (OK, I admit, I' know nothing at all about cars). Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?<BR>Thanks

Is this a part I can still buy from Buick and have installed or is it something I need to find from used parts dealer?<BR>Thanks

The fan high speed is often controlled by a separate relay. That might be bad and should be able to be purchased.

My mechanic was showing me one of those modules that he pulled from another customer's Reatta. He said that they tend to go bad and kill batteries, and he also said that he had a hard time finding a replacement.

This sounds similar to my problem on my '89...It has been going on constantly for the past year or so....Even though I have the ac/heat turned completely off it stays on low constantly and puts out either cold or hot air depending on what I have the temp set on.........and occasionally it will jump to high and come on full blast all by itself for no reason and then go back down to low after I have turned the ac/heat on and then off again........but always putting out either hot or cold on low constantly........Help.........what should I do......I just had a mechanic in Cincinnati look at it last week and he said it had to be in the CRT and when I get a rebuilt one that should solve the problem......He also soldered my CRT and still goes on and off (usually off) ....... shocked.gif" border="0

I just fixed this problem on my 89 last night. Power Module is likely bad.<BR>GM Part no. 12484912<BR>$75.87 at <A HREF="http://www.gmpartsdirect.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gmpartsdirect.com</A> <BR>$91 after shipping & handling.<P>It is located to the left of the blower motor & 3 relays against the firewall, has 2 electrical plugs facing downwards & 3 screws.<BR>A pain to remove because the original is large and bulky and difficult to maneuver out.<BR>The new one is smaller and drops in very easy.<P>Hope this helps.<P>Robert

• 4 months later...

Man, I LOVE this discussion group!

I had the exact same problem on my '88...came home a couple of weeks ago, and the fan kept running. I noticed it right away and couldn't find a fuse to stop it, so I unplugged it to save the battery. I looked in the service manual and figured it must be either the Power Module or Heater and A/C Programmer Module.

Then I came and searched this discussion board and found Robert's post listing the same problem and the suspected solution with the replacement part number and where to get it. I ordered the Power Module and installed in about 20 minutes...PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thanks Robert for the info! It sure did help.

Tracy

I have 14 Reatta and 4 '88-92 Riviera parts cars and have any parts you might need. I have been selling the power modules located on the firewall in the air box for $ 30 and shipping is $ 3.85 for Priority Mail. I can be reached at jfinn@computerpro.com (cpinternet is the same) I am going to be away from home from Oct 16 through Oct 30 and unavailable for shipping or emailing but I can send parts either before or after those dates.