Sign in to follow this  
my65riv

How do you cure your car fever during the winter?

During this time of year,what do you do to get rid of your car fever?Personally,in my area the temperature varies enough so as I can drive my cars once in awhile.We have a few local indoor shows and I also have a diecast collection to mess with.This winter I've helped a friend in his automotive shop,I attend my AACA meetings,and worked on my car website.Just looking for some new ideas.

Jeff Mealer

Mt. Juliet,TN.

One thing any one can do is build a photo collection on their PC. It can be pics they take at shows and cruise-ins plus images found on the web. I have a freeware screensaver/wallpaper program from www.webshots.com that I can categorize all my pix. I have about 4,500 auto images now plus some 2,000 others from aviation, landscapes and etc.

Just use you search engines and be creative and specific.

Whenever there's a day that the roads somehow happen to be clean I JUMP on it and go for at least a half hour drive. Just aimlessly around town. What a feeling! That and just work on any winter projects that might have come up, etc.

I like to look at all my pictures from cruises and shows the last summer...but at the same time that can just depress me more.

Its amazing how used to the current conditions you get. In the winter I look at picutres from the summer and the grass and the trees and the sun...it's as if I've never seen it before. In the summer..if I see a picture of our house with 2 feet of snow it too seems like the most impossible thing in the world!

I guess maybe its a good thing I'm a student, the workload here keeps me pretty distracted!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Walling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winter is the time to go out in the garage and don't come out until spring with a "new" car!

I usually manage to do one each year. </div></div>

Ditto to that!! I think this will be my last one......it gets very expensive even doing all the work yourself. My paint jobber loves me. Next year I plan on detailing my garage, it's over-due.

Ditto!!!

Winter is the time to get the maintenance done or start restoring one.

Summer is the time to drive them and not work on them unless something breaks.

Winters are fairly mild here in SE Va so we do occasionally get the cars out for a run. Glad we've got cars with windows that roll up so we can keep reasonably warm. Other than that, it's serious garage time, either messing with the collections, rearranging stuff in my "museum" or polishing brass. Right now I'm under an MG trying to clean 4000 miles of road crap off so we can look good at the Charlotte NC spring AACA meet, and again in Cumberland. If anyone knows how to clean and detail a car underneath without coming out looking like an over-worked coal miner let me know! Winter is also a great time to plink around on ebay looking for more stuff, or scrounging area antique shops and markets for goodies.

Last couple of months I've got into my postcard collection and did some rearranging. Recently purchased a large, old collection and added a few hundred really neat ones to the albums. I like the photo collection idea as well. There are a lot of auto images out there on the web that you can save on your PC.

West - date?, our dates are out in the garage.

Terry

Yup that goes for us too. We start right after Hershey.

We backed the fire truck into the shop after Hershey, plugged the battery tender in, dumped some Sta-Bil in the tank, rolled down the tarps on our portable garage and walked away.

You can't find a car cover big enough to cover a fire engine, so we set up a portable garage in the shop, put the truck in there, and closed it up tight. Believe it or not it actually keeps the truck extremely clean, and keeps everything (and everyone) away from the truck. The only thing on that truck right now is whatever got on it while sitting on the trailer when we were hauling it back from Hershey.

This winter I'm doing a body off restoration on a rust bucket 56 Chrysler New Yorker. Last Winter I was between projects and thought I'd go nuts just "puttering". The Chrysler is keeping me engaged and interested although I only spend about 5 hours a day with it..........Bob

We catch up on as many of the things that have been let go all spring, summer/fall that we can.

When my dad was living in his house we really got backed up on projects. Anyone with an elderly parent that is living at home either alone or with minimum professonal help understands. Now that he is in an assited living facitily in Va. we are slowly getting things done again.

A couple of months ago I finally got around to rearranging my garage so I could fit 3 cars in my 2 car garage.

That arrangement now permits me to do more maintenance on my older vehicles during the winter.

For me, it is also a good time to go through my parts inventory, put together parts orders and acquire them for my next project.

I also have a web site that I maintain that focuses on one of my vehicles.

The web site also has a section for auto events for that manufacturer that requires constant updates from January to late October.

When I run out of auto related tasks (yeah, right) there is always maintenance & repairs around the house.

Wife said I needed a project so I had this old tractor and trailer I had picked up several years ago at a flea market.

No big winter projects so thought I'd restore it. Finished a couple of days ago. Now what to do?

mickey_tractor.jpg

Automobilia collecting, eBay, Fordbarn & this forum! Club activities also help, as garage tours, region meetings at interesting places and our Model A club meetings also help. No big mechanical projects this year.

I really don't notice a seasonal change, the Internet has replaced the need to go out. Still selling off unwanted stuff in the hopes of making work space for the keepers.

Here in the "Sunshine City" we play with cars all year long. Two weeks ago our club drove 55 miles to Sarasota

for the 1300 car Devereaux Show put on by the Sunshine Region. (we had 23 cars including a Model T & 8 Model A's) Last weekend we did a 115 mile trip to Plant City for the Strawberry Festival and shortcake. (21 cars) This weekend we're off to Bradenton to see the Tin Can Tourists national

meet and a display of 40 antique trailers and RV's. (expect 25 old cars) Next week is Zephryhills Winter Fest & Auction.

Weekends are pretty full of old car stuff year round and

there are mid-week cruise in's in the evenings.

But that still leaves days to work on restorations and maintenance on the fleet so they are ready to drive and play on the weekends.

Anybody interested? I know of a 5 car garage pool home available here in St. Petersburg for under $300,000.

It's not always warm here, today was only 68 degrees and a clear sunny sky. Yesterday it was 75 and I shot primer outside, but to cold to swim.

Our club fills up in the winters with "Snowbirds", some of which bring their old cars just to play with us.

If you are coming, come March 22 to Heritage Village in Largo Florida for the best pre-1960 Antique Car Show you've ever seen. To make it more fun, come in period dress to match your car, you'll have a ball.

Paul,

Maybe I should plan a trip to see my stepfather who lives in Sarasota in February instead of November next year. Sounds like the 1300 car Devereaux Show is a good one to go to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During this time of year,what do you do to get rid of your car fever?</div></div>Go to the AACA National Winter Meet.... whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif