Sign in to follow this  
cardinal905

Type of wood

I am restoring a 1916 Maxwell model 25, I cant seem to get a definative answer on the type of wood I should buy for replacing the floor boards and seat bottoms with. Also does anyone have a trick on making new seat cushion frames---Nothing there, I have pictures and measurements from an original car but dont know where to start on getting springs etc. Thanks for helping a rookie.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Dear Cardinal:

As RV has noted above, most stuff was ash. There is a problem with ash now and that's a quarantine area for ash in the Ohio-Michigan area (beetles, like Dutch elm disease in the 50's.). Be sure you don't get yourself sideways with the feds on this. Most especially, don't go to a relative's place in Ohio, buy some and take it to Illinois. You'll find yourself in no small amount of problems.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Try Snyders antique car parts for your springs. You give them the dimensions, they will fabricate the spring sets for you. David Coco Winchester Va.

A good substitute for ash for a floor board application is white oak. It's has about the same strength and flat sawn boards have very similar color and grain. The Emerald Ash Borer is getting to be a problem here in PA too. I think there is an out of state quarantine on ash lumber....

Only on AACA could you learn of an ash borer. Great tip on the springs, was hoping you would tell me to find a Lazy Boy by the roadside though. Thanks again.

Beech is also a decent substitute, it's very straight grained and easy to work, the big drawback is that it is very light colored, almost white. My uncle used a lot of it in his cabinet shop for repair pieces in furniture and for carriage work. (cut and cured his own, "free wood" so to speak)