V12 Crankshaft Damper Replacer

Guest Roughrider

Guest Roughrider

Hello all,

I'm new to the LZOC but in love with my "new" 42 Lincoln Continental Coupe that I have affectionately named "Eleanor" (A tribute to the first lady of that era and Edsel Ford's wife.)

Recently my crankshaft pulley split while driving and I now have a replacement crankshaft damper assembly with the pulley attached. I've collected great information from the forum on removing the radiator and I have the OCee Ritch Continental book. My question is do you need the vibration damper remover-6360-A and the crankshaft damper replacer 6360-B tools to replace the crankshaft pulley?

Any lessons learned or insight on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Retired Navy - Call sign Roughrider.

post-54749-143137967019_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

From the information that you send, it sounds as though you wish to replace just the pulley and use the dampner again. This is possible if you can find a pulley. I once had the misfortune to break a pulley and had to replace the entire dampner assembly. It is held in place by a bolt and large washer in the center of the crakshaft. Any puller that will bolt to the end of the dampner in the holes that the fan bolts to will remove the dampner. Remove the ceneter bolt and washer and pull off the dampner.

Beautiful '42 Rough, in it's day, there was a "Red Ryder" on the radio, but if I had your car, it would be called "Maroon Ryder". The glare in the picture makes it look like your front left hubcap is plain, without the unique '42 plaque, is that true?? And I think the '42 Zephyrs had a different hood side trim, did that hold true for the '42 Connie?-

Considering what's involved with replacing the damper/ pulley you might consider having the pulley on the replacement tack welded in a couple of places before you install it. It's the front half of the pulley that separates from the hub. I've fixed a couple this way.

A puller would be great, but if u dont have one..

at least remove the bolt and shoot some penetrant in the center right away...take a light hammer and tap around

see if it may slide...remembering not to hammer hard enough to affect internals..thrust facings etc..I dont have a puller and have gotton them off..

The radiator removed makes it a whole new ballgame..

Guest Roughrider

The picture was one of my first attempts with an old Pentax Me Super that I've had for 27 years and I didn't have the F Stop set to reduce the glare. All 4 hubcaps have the Lincoln plaque unlike some of the later production models that only had them on the front.

It appears that the 42 Lincolns both Continental and Zephyrs had the same hood ornament but indeed a different hood side trim.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roughrider

Thanks everyone for the pointers on the V12 crankshaft damper replacement. I found a real car guy and a shop that treated my car as if it was their own. Many of your recommendations were used in the repair such as radiator removal, pulley tact-weld, etc.

The shop, "Betterton & Whitlow" is located in Chesapeake VA and owned by Bobby Worrell. Bobby has worked at the shop for 35 years and bought the shop from the original owner. A former president of the regional AACA, who owns a Lincoln K, referred me to Betterton and Whitlow and Bobby personnally worked on my car. Bobby has a pretty large shop but he came to my house with his flat bed and from the moment he connected it to the truck until I paid the bill it was truly the best service including cost I have ever experienced. I feel that I now have a friend for life and one that I can trust with "Eleanor". There's and old saying, that you shouldn't trust your car or your woman with another man, but I don't have any reservation trusting Bobby with Eleanor.

Bobby's lead mechanic just happen to have a mint condition, leather bound, shop service manual for the Ford V8 and Zepher V12, 1937-1941. The manual was given to the mechanic by his grandfather who founded the shop. He wouldn't part with it.

Additionally, Bobby went over my car with a fine tooth comb and has made some recommendations that will keep Eleanor on the road.

Thanks for all the great advice!