Reatta Keyless Entry Module

J. Cliff

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to Reattas. Just bought a 90, Silver (with a purple haze???) I haven't had much opportunity to drive it. After getting it home I noticed a small drip of gas just forward of the rear axle. Dropped the tank and I've built a new hose but I haven't reinstalled the tank yet.

Sorry I'm rambling. To the point... Will someone tell me where the keyless entry module is located OR where it is supposed to be located?

Thanks,

Cliff

90 Buick Reatta

70 Shelby GT-350 Fastback

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Reatta purchase. The color sounds a bit unusual, wonder if someone did a custom paint job? Silver was a standard color in 90, but I've not seen one that was "purplish".

Anyway, the keyless entry module is located on the drivers side between the outer body panel and the inner rear quarter panel trim. This is semi-accessible by removing the carpeted trim on the left (drivers) side of the trunk compartment.

There should be a single wire with a green plastic covered connector on the end running along the top of the wheel well. This is the programming connector for the keyless entry system. Follow this wire back and you will spot the module tucked back in there.

Not sure about the 90 but on my 91 the ABS control module is mounted to the top of the left rear wheel well, with a large loom of sensor wires coming into it from the front of the vehicle. If you have a module there, it is for the ABS system, not the keyless entry. The RKE module is farther back between the sheet metal and inner trim, so you don't confuse the two.

KDirk

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I know where you are talking about. Everything is just as you described on your 91. ABS, green tipped wire, massive wire loom. It is my understanding that in order to program a key fob I must ground the green tipped wire. I assume after the programming is complete I un-ground it?

Thanks again Brian/Kevin,

Here are the instructions for programming the remote(s).

Note if you only have one remote you do the proceedure twice as if you have two remotes. I have been parting out Reattas for more than 10 years and if I can help on any parts please send me an email at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be present. Failure

to use both transmitters will render the missing transmitter inoperative.

If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this

transmitter as transmitter 1 and 2.

The entire reprogramming sequence must be completed within 30 seconds of

grounding the connector. If the procedure is not completed, remove the

ground at the connector and restart the procedure from step 1

1. Ignition "ON"

2. Ground green single wire connector ( located near the ABS module in the

trunk.

3. Wait for the door locks to lock and unlock ( should take 2 seconds)

4. Press the "unlock" button on the first transmitter twice ( pauses for

one second between presses)

5. Wait for door locks to lock and unlock ( should take 2 seconds)

6. Press the "unlock" button on the second transmitter twice ( pause for

one second between presses)

7. Wait for door locks to lock and unlock ( should take 2 seconds)

8. Remove ground from green conector

J Cliff-

Yes, the procedure for programming is:

Ignition on (engine not running):

1. ground wire with green connector in trunk. Locks will cycle (lock/unlock) within a couple of seconds, programming mode now active

2. Take 1st (of 2) remote and press the unlock (I think, working from memory here) button twice, locks will cycle to confirm the remote was accepted.

3. Do same as step 2 for 2nd remote, locks will cycle to confirm. Programming now complete, un-ground connector.

Note: the entire programming sequence must be completed within 30 seconds from grounding of the wire for the procedure to work correctly.

The above is correct by my recollection, if not I will accept a beating for mis-information wink.gif.

KDirk

EDIT: Oops, Jim beat me to the punch. At least my memory served me correctly on how to do this!

Plan on replacing the front-rear brake line, while you've got your Reatta in the air!

I just did a fuel line, and soon as I got it done, I ran it on the stands to knock the rust off the rotors.

I'm really glad the brake line blew out before I took it off the stands, or out on the road!

If the front-reat fuel line is rusted/failing, the brake line next to it will fail soon, replace them together to avoid "Catastrophic brake failure".

AACA/Reatta post #99993

My 10th anniversary was 9-9-93!