Exhaust Options - Suggestions

JZRIV

I need to install a new exhaust sytem on the 67 and am looking for feedback from anyone who has purchased systems from any of the mail order suppliers.

Many years ago I used Kepich and one other vendor I can't remember and wasn't happy with either. The main problem I had was the head pipes came down too low instead of being tucked close to the floor which in turn made the muffler too low as well. Yes they fit but it wasn't right.

I know having a local shop custom bend and install it would be the best route for fit but I'm nervous about anyone working on my car except me. I am not aware of any local shop I could trust enough without giving me an ulcer so wanted to see what the latest experiences are with mail order exhaust systems.

Who is the best?

I've bought Borla before to use on my other cars and it's an excellent exhaust system. I know that they probably don't make one for your car, but as long as you stick with the high end manufacturer's such as them, you should be OK.

My Rivi had a new exhaust on it when I bought it. Someone had it fabricated with stainless pipes and put a high polished stainless Magnaflow muffler on it. Really nice job.

Finally, I know what you mean about having someone else work on your car, but most shops let you stand there and watch. Just ask around and listen to what others say about the shops in your area and go from there.

Jason,

Conventional ROA wisdom on this is to have the exhaust system done by a reputable local shop. I would check with your local Buick club or street rodders as each of these groups are s.o.l. when it comes to mail order exhaust systems and they would know who can be trusted in your area. Don't take for granted that a national chain would be your best bet, a lot of times the little independent guy is the one you want.

Good Luck,

Tim