40 Lincoln Steering wheel color?

Hi all, The car I'm doing (06H), has the Maroom Dash w/ the required gold trim, but the steering wheel is Black, shouldn't it be a translucent Maroon also? If so, is it just painted with the same paint as the dash, or is more of a special process such as multiple coats of clear over the color. If a special process is used, can someone recomeend a good source to do this coating? Thanks much, C

Hi C, I have done a little research on steering wheels, and there were two colors in 1940, the standard tan on the non custom interiors and a maroon wheel on the custom, I was never able to ascertain whether it was the translucent maroon like a '46-'48 Lincoln, or a darker solid maroon that I have seen in pictures, the age may change them, but the one I saw was supposedly a NOS in the original packaging, and it appeared to be a very dark solid maroon, so you might check to see if your black one was re-painted, or is in fact a very dark maroon that looks like black. To answer your question, the only person doing SW's presently is Don Eash, at $800 a pop, and some of his colors are not too accurate, but he does do a beautiful job with whatever color, here is a picture of a standard '41 which is supposed to be the same color as a standard 1940, but this color is more the custom '41, so as you can see it does get very confusing-

post-51946-143137965897_thumb.jpg

Well obviously that is not Dan Eash' '41 steering wheel, nice rearend, but I am not sure of the car coming down the street, Olds?? Sone other kind of general motors masterpiece?? OH well, I tried, Phil, you have to give me two brownie points-

CUSTOM INTERIOR HAD GOLD MACOID TRIM AND MAROON PLASTIC.ZEPHYRS AS CUSTOM INTERIORS..CONTINENTALS AND CUSTOMS AS STANDARD..ZEPHYRS HAD SOME DOOR PANEL DIFF..LOOK AT PAST COUPLE ZEF CLUB MAGS..TELLS IT ALL..CALL DAVE COLE

HE CLAIMS TO NOT HAVE A COMPUTOR..NO EMAIL..HE WILL HELP YOU. NO BLACK WHEEL EVER.

STANDARD INTERIOR ..CLOTH - BROWN PLASTIC LITE WOOD DASH

CUSTOM INTERIOR LEATHER - MAROON PLASTIC.

MAROON PAINT DASH (40) MAHOGONY DASH (41)

Thanks much Jeff, Today I took a closer look at the wheel in the outdoors, no sun here in Ohio ya know, and it is definiatly black, maybe it was painted at some point, BUT on the underside/inside the hub there were some traces of the maroon color, who knows? Anyway, would the dash paint color be correct, or is the color more of an opaque? This car does have the gold trim, so I know its the custom interior. Just trying to get this beauty correct.Thanks, C

Hey C, I have found on several occasions the original horn button on the back side that fits in to the wheel often has the best preserved original color, if it was painted, often a light washing with lacquer thinner on a rag will reveal a very good semblance of the original color, and believe me they do vary, but the horn button and the wheel are usually the same shade, and I don't believe the '40 maroons were translucent, which makes matching a lot easier-

my maroon wheel was made by a benzenhoffer back in the 70's..it is translucent ..but very dark out of sun...

look at dash of continental or custom (41) the correct

woodgrain is a sort mahogony sort of look..very beautiful

and when correct, is the focal point of the whole interior.

only about 1/3 get it even close..look at big buck connies for look...