torque tube magazine

krw

The editor hasn't been responding to attempts to contact him. Some folks have sent in checks that have not been cashed. Unfortunately, those of us whose checks were cashed may be out of luck. The magazine was a valuable source of information for us '37-38'ers, and the loss of it pains me much more than the two-year subscription that I've given up on.

Guest imported_PackardV8

I was unaware that "Torque Tube" was even a Buick term at all. I thot Buick refered to it as a "Third Member".

If you don't have chain drive, belt drive or hotchkiss drive you have torque tube drive. Third member is not specific to "torque tube". It is specific to the piece of metal that carries the crown and pinion in a rear end or differential. In fact it is the "carrier". Many back yard and amature mechanics refer to the "carrier" or "third member as a "pumpkin. These are usuall the same people that call a lamp lens a cover, and a 2 or 4 door sedan a 2 or 4 post, or even perhaps the pipe behind the muffler an exhaust pipe.

Oh wouldn't life be simple if WE all called everything by it's formal and proper name.

I thought torque tube and third member were different terms for the same part. I checked and you are absolutly correct. And I thought I knew everything. Well I gotta go change my tail pipe. It's rusted where it connects to the heat flapper thingy on the exhaust manipipe.......Bob