Sign in to follow this  
HarleySoftailer

Dream Came True

I wouldn't screw around with that connie at all, drive it till the wheels fall off, then worry about "restoring" it. It's beautiful the way it is. You can clean up the interior brightwork a little at a time yourself, you make it too nice and you will be afraid to drive it. There are enough trailer queens in this world.

Mike - I don't own a single trailer queen and I never will. I just love putting 'em back to new so I can drive 'em the way they were on day 1. But trust me, this Continental will see plenty of miles.

I just got off the phone with the chief curator at the Harrah Collection in Reno, NV. They had my car from 1984 until 1991. The curator sent me these pictures of what she looked like when they got her and the rest of their documentation is on the way via snail mail.

I'm trying to locate the gentleman who gave them the car. So far, I've identified five owners (including me). If the donor is not the original owner, then I could be the sixth or even seventh owner.

I guess my next step will be the Ford/Lincoln archives. I want to know when the car was built and the name of the dealer who first sold her.

And yes Jeff - I'm already looking forward to the Columbus meet. Lucille and I will be there for sure.

post-55475-143137965884_thumb.jpg

post-55475-14313796589_thumb.jpg

Hey Softail...

There is a guy in New Philidelphia, Ohio that is fantastic on interiors for our Lincolns, if that is your project for the 47. He has the interior out of my 41 Continental down there now. I am furiously working on the 41 trying to get some paint on it by April or May, then I'll haul it down for the installation of the interior and a top. If you go the route of an interior, I would for sure replace it as original, leather for leather, etc. It looks like you have a solid foundation and the more original you can make it, the more it will be worth, if that's a consideration.

There have been a few Continentals that have been taken off the frame for restoration, however I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. I cannot imagine the trouble trying to get everything back on square and level.

I have only had my car for 32 years or so, no sense in rushing into it but I can FINALLY see light at the end of the tunnel.

Now you will have the same problem as I do when it gets nice, drive the Lincoln, or jump on the Electraglide.

Tom

Kent, Ohio

Tom - thanks very much for the tip in New Philly. I've been using J&J Upholstery for my other projects and they are incredible, but I'm not sure they are the right shop to redo a classic so I may give your guy a ring when the time comes. My plans at this point are to go with a leather/broadcloth combination interior that was "right" for the '47 Continental. The original interior on my car was yellow and I'm not sure that's a combination I want. I'm thinking along the lines of a dove grey broadcloth with darker gray accent leather. The new interior is at least 10 months away so I've got plenty of time to seek advice and change my mind.

Now about the Electraglide... I do love that bike indeed. But in about six weeks, my Knucklehead comes back and that's the one I'll be pulling out when it's time for two wheels instead of four.

Harley.

Columbus, Ohio