Sign in to follow this  
HarleySoftailer

Dream Came True

I drove her today for the first time and she was amazing. The engine turned right over and she ran beautifully. With the overdrive engaged, she was almost silent. I'm in love.

post-55475-143137965771_thumb.jpg

I suspect the ride is just a little quieter (and yes, softer) than a Harley softail, eh?

Up North, a wee bit warmer in the winter too! congrats! It's a great feeling, you think it's quiet now, take it out in about 6" of fresh dry snow.... pure heaven.

Yes CBoz - much quieter than the Harley. I have enjoyed a number of great cars but this is one of the few that actually caused my heart to race and my pulse to quicken. It was truly love at first site.

By the way - how do I get pictures to show up inside my posts?

Also - is there a Lincoln Owner's Club in Central Ohio?

Harley.

I too would like to know how to post a photo that is not on the web to one of my posts. Every time I try to post one, all I get is a box that asks for the http/ location of the photo. Can anyone post the directions?

Here's how I add photos:

It doesn’t always work (ask Rolf!) so keep trying.

GOOD LUCK! Hope to see your photos soon.

Three IMPORTANT items to remember:

1. DON'T add bitmap files. They are WAY too large and may result in posting a link to the photo and NOT the photo.

2. Try to resize the photo to a 640x480 resolution. That size seems to come out OK - not too big, not too small.

3. Add your caption BEFORE selecting your photo.

Cecil has posted a site which can resize your photos for you if you don't have Microsoft Photo Editor, Adobe Photoshop or other photo editing software, but I can't find that link. Can you re-post it Cecil?

post-32768-143137965807_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137965809_thumb.jpg

NOT MUCH LINCOLN CLUB ACTION IN OHIO. THE CCCA RECOGNIZES YOUR CAR AND THEY HAVE FUN CARVANS...NICE COUNTRY CLUB SET...IF THATS YOUR BAG....LINCOLN CLUB IS SPLIT...CA...PA AND WISCONSIN.

OHIO IS SPORTS...DRIVE YOUR CAR TO BUCKS...BROWNS..

BENGALS OHIO U ...MIAMI ETC AND TAILGATE...ANYWHERE U GO WILL BE A CAR SHOW!!

I AM IN NW OHIO..

WE HAD A MEET IN 74 AT CEDAR PT...AND MORE RECENTLY DEARBORN AND KALAMAZOO MI... ST LOUIS.....MOSTLY

PA, MA, NJ, NY, MD.

Right now I'm finishing up my '56 Ford Fairlane. And I plan to spend this summer enjoying some rides and drives. But come next Fall, when it's time to starting putting the toys away, this one will begin restoration. In the meantime, I can't wait to take her out this summer.

post-55475-14313796581_thumb.jpg

post-55475-143137965812_thumb.jpg

Here are some interior shots of my new baby. The interior is going to be completely redone next winter. All the metal work and gauges will be restored and new upholstery, carpets and headliner will go in. I'm also going to have the stainless polished and the dash repainted.

post-55475-143137965814_thumb.jpg

post-55475-143137965816_thumb.jpg

post-55475-143137965818_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

The Lincol Owners Club is for the very early Lincolns from 1920 to 1939. These were known as the Model L and the Models KA, KB and K. These are the big old Classics. If you join the Lincoln Continental Owners Club you wil be eligable to join a local region in the Ohio area. As your car is a V12, you should consider the Lincoln Zephyr Owners club also. They don't have as much local activities going on, but they are good at getting out the details of authenticity.

You must have figured out how to post photos while I was preparing my photo posting response!

That looks like a really nice car. What kind of overdrive does it have? I don't see any Borg-Warner overdrive relay on the firewall, and no "O" knob under the dashboard next to the heater controls.

THE MISSING OVERTHE TOP AIR CLEANER WOULD BE NICE...THERE WAS ONE ON EBAY RECENTLY....

VERY NICE CAR!!

HAVE FUN

Hey Harley, do they quote the old line in Ohio that says,"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?? Sure seems to apply to that stunning '48, but I think you should concentrate on finding an almost impossible correct air cleaner, and clamshell horns, the parts book lists them for '48 Connie only, yet little is ever said about them. Light colors always enhance Connie coupes I think, whereas the rag tops I like better in Black and Maroon-

Jeff - do you have any pictures of the over-the-top missing air cleaner.

Phil - the overdrive knob is right under the Temp Gauge in the 2nd interior photo.

Since the topic of L and K models came up, I thought I might share a few of my favorites...

post-55475-143137965848_thumb.jpg

post-55475-143137965851_thumb.jpg

post-55475-143137965853_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolf Burdette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should concentrate on finding an almost impossible correct air cleaner, and clamshell horns, the parts book lists them for '48 Connie only, yet little is ever said about them. </div></div>

I recall that when we restored our 1942 Continental, the air cleaner was being reproduced. Are they not available anymore?

Plus, though I won't admit that I'm a 1948 Continental expert, but I don't recall ever seeing any other kind of horns on a first-generation Continental than the ones shown here.

But in any event, those are not items one needs to "concentrate" on if the car is going to be driven and not judged.

V8 - I can't see the photo but now my curiosity is peaked. Anybody got a picture of this magical, mystical air cleaner?

West - I'm in Columbus and I think we've met.

There's a good picture of that air cleaner in the postwar classifieds. Open hood shot of a black Postwar coupe.

One of the very few differences between 1947 and 48 Continentals is the absence of the "Lincoln" script on the rear hubcaps (which you can't see if the fender skirts are installed). Another subtle difference is the clamshell horns on '48 cars (which you can't see if the hood is closed). I think that HaleySoftailer stated earlier that this car is a '47.

By the way, NICE Lincolns, HarleySoftailer.

Also a very NICE '41 Zephyr, Jim. Do you ever remember seeing my Green '39 Zephyr convertible in Oregon? It had Oregon plates when I got it out of upstate New York in 2003.

post-32768-143137965873_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137965875_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

If your car is a 1947, then the horns could be correct.The early '47s had the trumpet horns, octagon hubcaps, winged hood ornament and a few other minor differences. When the late '47s came out the old parts were installed until the bin was empty like Henry always did.

If you need an air cleaner, I have a friend that may still have one for sale. They are not being reproduced any more.

Where is your overdrive relay that should be on the firewall? I see the 3 blind nuts in the center for it.

I THINK I READ ABOUT A LINCOLN CONTINETAL CLUB MEET IN COLUMBUS IN AUGUST.... MOSTLY JFK SQUARE LINCOLNS..BUT

COULD BE FUN.