1939 Chrysler

Have a 1939 Chrysler. Doing a complete tune-up and have some Carburetor problems. When pushing throttle no gas is going into the carb. Purchased a carb. repair/rebuilt kit and installed new pump still no gas. Yes gas is coming into the carb. the pump just doesn't work like I think it should. any ideas... Thank!!

Carter one barrel.

Did you put the 2 check balls back in the right place ?

These allow fuel to be drawn into the accelerator pump on closing throttle and to be discharged on opening throttle

Without them the accel.pump wont do its job, you could also have rolled the leather pump bucket when installing it

I take it you cant see fuel being discharged into the carb throat when you operate the throttle linkage ?

Thanks for your reply hchris.

I disassembled the carb completely today. The 2 check balls were in their place 1) small one under the pump. 2)Large one in other position... "right". Took extra care to clean out all fuel passage holes and reassembled. Still no gas discharged into carb throat. However with top of carb removed and gas in the float bowl... you can manually push down on the plunger/pump and gas comes out the carb throat as it should indicating that all passage ways are clear. According to rebuild picture/diagram all parts for the pump are inserted in their proper position. The thing that I do not understand is why is the pump lifter link just moving up and down on the pump shaft... for the life of me I can't understand how this can possibly work with out the lifter link somhow being attached to the pump shaft. I must be missing something??????

So you have the link fitted between the throttle shaft and pump lever, when you open the throttle the pump lever is drawn down ?

You have the spring fitted around the pump plunger shaft inside the carb so that it holds the plunger up when at rest ?

You have the throttle/pump link in the hole furthest from the throttle shaft for longest stroke ?

and when you open the throttle shaft there is no fuel squirting into the carb throat - have I got this right ?

I think I got this thing figured out... I believe I have a weak pump spring! I did not receive a new one with the rebuild kit... soooo I used an old ford spring that fit very good inside the Chrysler spring and everything works excellent. The car started up on the first crank. That is after I repositioned the distributer... I was 180 out. Very disapointed... have oil coming out around the middle seal of my new oil filter $54 bucks... not happy camper! Another week of waiting for parts. Good thing its winter can't drive anyways. Anyone know the number of the front parking light bulb?????