Sign in to follow this  
HarryJ

1928 series "72" Chrysler Royal sedan

That mat is awesome!! I have never known an original floor mat covering to actually have the word Chrysler on it! Has anyone else seen an original or reproduction with Chrysler on it?!?! You may have something special there. If there are no reproductions available I would definetly look into getting that reproduced. I'm sure other people would be interested in sharing the cost especially if it fit their car. I know I would be.

Dan

Leigh..........Again, thanks for the pictures! Note...the carb is a Pemberthy Ball & Ball SV-37 Very rare.

I'll look into getting the mat reproduced. I will ask about getting the CHrysler put on the other side for the USA cars. Just don't be in a rush!!

Does anyone else reading this forum have examples, pics, or specs on Chrysler floor coverings of the twenties?

Quick update...Today I drove up to the body man's place to check out progress and pay my bill up to date. The car is coming along in an awesome fashion!!!! Body work on all four of the fenders plus the splash aprons has been finished. When I arrived; the left side fenders and splash apron were being fitted. They looked great. In the next week or so the right side will be fitted. As you know the instrument panel is in the hands Mr. Wolf; and the "pop-out" cylinder is in the hands of Mr. Jessers. There are several issues extant....Front floor covering?...How was the FEDCO plate coated?.......... How can I reproduce the door handles?.....What about the running board molding????

WTG Harry, It's good to hear progress is being made on your car. Sounds like you have an aggressive body shop. What color(s) are you going with?

Dean....At the moment I am not going to paint it. When it gets back from the body shop It will be in the white (primed). I plan to do some small detail work on the body myself and then I am going to set the body aside and restore the chassis. When the time comes to paint it I plan to use the same colors (Green and Black) that it and the parts car were originally painted.

HarryJ: All of the FEDCO plates I have seen on Chryslers were nickel plated.

Keiser31....Thanks,......I have studied three of these plates up close and one posted on this post in detail. The three plates I have studied up close are: the car I'm restoring, the parts car (both series "72"Chryslers),and a 1927 Marmon. From these I can't tell what they were originally coated with. I suspect they were plated; don't ask me why,but at the minute that's my guess.............Where have you seen FEDCO plates?

I have seen FEDCO plates on a ton of early Chryslers. I have owned some early Chryslers that had the plates. One was a 1926 Chrysler 58 4-door sedan and another was a 1929 Chrysler 75 rumble seat roadster. I also had a couple of early Chrysler dashboards that had them. I used to be the president of the WPC Club (Walter Percy Chrysler) San Diego region. I do not know how many companies used the plates. They were brass with nickel plating and riveted to the dashboards. If you look at them one way, you can see the name "CHRYSLER" on the plate. If you look at the plate on a slight angle, you can usually see a serial number etched and intertwined in the Chrysler logo.

keiser31......thanks.......This answers a major question in my efforts at restoring my car.

I do not want to brag, but I do know and have a lot of valuable information on the early Chrysler cars. The fact that my Dad worked for Chrysler Export/Import Division on Wyoming Avenue in Detroit has had me quite interested since childhood. If anyone out there has any questions about Chrysler restorations, I may be able to help. keiser31@charter.net

First, I would like to thank everyone again for their help in my efforts to restore my survivor. The above response is a great help in my efforts and is an example of what I consider is a prime function of this club and this website. keiser31 has helped me confirm the coating on FEDCO plates and Nickleroadster has given me the method to restore the part. Today, I received the repro "pop-out" from Jesser's...............Excellent work. Another thanks is due Mikzjr, via this site for refering me to Jesser's and posting a question on the CCCA Tech site. Tomorrow I plan to check out progress on the body work and pay my bill up to date. Hopefully,,,in about three or four weeks the car will be back in my shop.

Harry,

Here are new photos of the Fedco plate I have, the plating is worn but definitely looks like nickel. Good luck!

Don, these photos are excellent! They give a better perspective than the disappearing photos.

I have a Fuji camera with a closeup feature plus enhancement software to brighten and sharpen focus if needed.

Quick update........The reproduction of the "pop-out" switch mechanism is coming along just fine. Jessers built a prototype. We are working together to fine tune the design. I am going to send out my parts and data tomorrow to Jessers; to continue the reproduction process. I talked to the body man today............he had to apply himself to a couple of other jobs in the last two weeks................only a small amount of progress has been made. As to the instrument cluster .....to date , I have not heard from Mr. Wolf.

HarryJ,

Just picked up on your post. Looks like you're doing a great job on your "72". I've got a '31 CD8, the restore was completed about 15 years ago, but I still have some info from it as well as various links to sites that I've used since for repairs, etc. Also have my manuals, different models /different years, but I'll keep a watch and chime in if I can help. I also have a alot of odds and ends info.

Chrysler 72 - 6

Model Code: J (Engine # Prefix)

Years built: 1927 - 1928

Serial # Range: CW-000-P to CR-838-L

FYI: Photos of my '31 @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/cd8rob

CD8_Rob.............Great looking '31, I like the wood wheels. I look foward to your help.

Quick update..........Week before last I talked to John Wolf; he is working on my instrument cluster, He is taking his time; however, time in this context is not the issue, quality is, and from my brief conversation It appears this issue is being adressed. I went up to visit the gentlemen doing the body work on the car........it is looking very good!I have included some pics, for your review. The last picture shows a reproduction runningboard bracket next to an original. These would probably fool the original assembly line worker who made these by the thousands per day.

post-34731-143138017994_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018002_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018003_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018009_thumb.jpg

Great restoration job Harry. I dont know how far you have got with your door handle search but you may like to have a look at this company from Brisbane, Australia, who reproduce many vintage car items including 27 & 29 Chrysler interior door handles.

David

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/

David, thanx.......I am aware of these guys in Austrailia. They do not reproduce the handles and escutheons that replicate my series "72"; however, they seem to do an excellent job on the reproductions they do produce. I am attaching some more pictures from the body shop.

post-34731-143138019137_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138019143_thumb.jpg