Reducing Your Show Attendances?

Argyll

I'm considered strange over here because I own a V8 powered 1957 Chevy, not because its an American car, its because of how expensive our gas is. A gallon (Imperial measurement) of gas currently costs about $10.00, so to fill ours up works out at roughly $100.00. My difficulty is our vehicle shows are quite far apart (for Scotland that is), where the furthest away will cost me $160.00 to get there and back, which is now getting expensive for me, so much so if gas keeps going up the way it is over here ($12.00 come summer)I'm going to have to cut back on shows.

Now I know you guys have been hurting with increasing gas prices and it has me wondering are any of you in the same boat as me, has anybody here decided to miss a couple of shows this year to save the additional expense?

Argyll.

What i have seen in my area is guys maybe going to a free cruise-in vs having to pay for a car show.Most car shows have yet to drop their registration fees inorder to keep participation up.I do alot of car shows and cruise-ins because these are my vacations:).

Jeff Mealer

Mt. Juliet,TN.

No change Argyll. At under $3.00 a gallon, I now feel that we're stealing it compared to your prices. frown.gif

There are many shows in the states at any one given weekend, so I'd think that a car enthusiast can find a show or cruise-in close to just "get him by", if need be. smile.gif

Wayne

Our grand national meet is a 2000 mile round trip for me this year. I have a car I would like to take but the cost would be just a bit more than I want to spend. When the cost of fuel here hits $5 a gal, which it surely will, I think you will see a real change in the hobby.......Bob

Guest ZondaC12

There's so much stuff within 45 minutes or less, usually MUCH less, that it's not an issue for me. Though at the same time I'm not 100% positive I'd want to drive this thing 500 miles or something on that order of magnitude. Gotta keep it to about 50 MPH and even then shes singin' and it would get to me before too long. Last summer I made the trek 90 miles northward to bring it to my friends' family's camp at Schroon Lake to show his neighbor who wanted to see it and to put it in the local parade! Normally 1.5 hrs to get there, it was 2 and change this time!

That's really too bad you need to go so far to be with your fellow hobbyists. frown.gif

It isn't gas prices that affect my attendance. If it is too far I will usually fly because I do not want to waste vacation time traveling that can be spent at other events. So it is airfare and hotel prices that will kill a trip for me. Stuff that I can drive to in a day, I will go to if I am interested regardless of gas prices because after a rotten week at work I need some fun. However, I think I will pass on some regular events this year because it's not worth the gas and hotel to see the same thing every year.

I've noticed a definite drop in attendence at virtually every event I've made it to in the last 2-3 years. The mid-size swap meets seem to be suffering the most. The 2007 Springfield Swap Meet in Ohio (the last regional event I attended) was about 1/2 or less of what it was 5 years ago.

The last local cruise-in I attended was just as emaciated, which worries me more than the major events shrinking. However I noticed most of the decline was in hot rods, the authentic car owners seem to be more hard core. smile.gif

There are those who will say they're not changing their habits for gas prices no matter what. The story of who actually shows up seems to be different, however. frown.gif

Guest windjamer

I have to agree with bigdog. I have wated since Dover and realy looked forward to Fla. for one last try at the grand Nat.But with gas prices as they are and climbing I am starting to think twice. Wouldnt it be nice if we could have one GN as it is now and also a second at home base Hershey?? Hey, now that I think of it why not turn the fall Hershey meet into a Grand Nat.?? keep every thing else the same. Would cut down on the space required less head ach might evan make the locals happy.Reading the art. from 08 chirman in latest mag. I get the impression locals are not to happy with us anyway. Last thought, picture of Packard and flying fortress is imho THE BEST ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There are many shows in the states at any one given weekend, so I'd think that a car enthusiast can find a show or cruise-in close to just "get him by", if need be. smile.gif</div></div>

I know exactly what you mean Wayne, we vacation in Florida every year for that very reason. I'm a real petrol-head and my other half enjoys the shows / swap meets almost as much as me, sometimes even more so. I was amazed at how many meetings there are "just on your doorstep" in Florida, and as you say its probably the same for most states in the US.

We're coming over in 7 weeks time and we've got the local cruises all sorted out as we move around Florida, and we'll probably check out the local Wally-Mart car parks in the evenings coming home in case there's a group of enthusiasts just chewing the fat.

The sheer number of local meets means we get our fill of classic cars in the space of three weeks, which with your gas prices means we don't feel the pinch if we go to as many as we can fit in.

Argyll. wink.gif

Guest windjamer

I dont know where you buy gas Wayne here in my aera its $3.17 a gal and thats down about 12 cents in the past 10 days. Of course you have to remember NY is tax happy and looking for more. I suggested they lic.cats like dogs,might make enough to do away with school tax. Boy did I hit a nerve, seems they (cats) are somethin special, heck we dont evan have a season on them like rabbits and deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> why not turn the fall Hershey meet into a Grand Nat.?? keep every thing else the same.

</div></div>

Whoa! Where do I go to vote for that proposal. I'll vote early and often. Stage the cars exactly as they would be anyway but carry a windsheild card color denoting GN judging. I know there must be a fly in this ointment somewhere it sounds way too easy.......Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LINC400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't gas prices that affect my attendance. If it is too far I will usually fly because I do not want to waste vacation time traveling that can be spent at other events. So it is airfare and hotel prices that will kill a trip for me. Stuff that I can drive to in a day, I will go to if I am interested regardless of gas prices because after a rotten week at work I need some fun. However, I think I will pass on some regular events this year because it's not worth the gas and hotel to see the same thing every year. </div></div>

Add to that the high cost of paid transport. I drive my Mark II up to about 5 hours but beyond that I ship it. Those costs have skyrocketed.

Guest Skyking

I don't see any difference in attendance at any shows. Macungie & the Chrysler nationals were packed. All cruise nights are also packed. People still do what they enjoy no matter what the price is. Watch the Super Bowl tomorrow. I bet it's sold out! And those tickets aren't cheap........... crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anybody here decided to miss a couple of shows this year to save the additional expense?</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">We have seen a lot less of "Old Town" this past year, but mostly due to family schedules... not so much gas prices.

Oddly enough, Greg & I drove the Grand Prix to Daytona for the Turkey Run for one day. (We usually trailer it up with the whole family for the long weekend, then load the truck with swap meet treasures to take home, but momma was recovering from surgery this time}.

As already mentioned, there are PLENTY of shows in Central Florida (all year long) that are within 20 miles, so gas prices alone would not affect our cruising.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Whoa! Where do I go to vote for that proposal. I'll vote early and often. Stage the cars exactly as they would be anyway but carry a windsheild card color denoting GN judging. I know there must be a fly in this ointment somewhere it sounds way too easy.......Bob </div></div>

I would also be in favor of a Grand National at Hershey.

Problem is doing it this way could easily add another 500-600 cars (attendance at Dover a few years ago) to an already over-crowded Hershey field.

Then again what about a Dual Meet at Hershey????? The show field sits EMPTY on Friday of Hershey week.

Have a Grand National on Friday and the Fall Meet on Saturday. LOTS of AACA Judges in town ALL WEEK.

I realize a Dual Meet at Hershey would add even more work for the Hershey Region.

For that reason I seriously doubt an idea like this would fly. Then again, where is the GN scheduled for in 2012??? hmmmmmmm..... grin.gif

As far as atendance goes, I have seen attendance increase, decrease and level off at events and vary GREATLY depending on the number of "like" events available.

If a show car owner has 10 events to choose from that is one thing. If that owner has 50 events to choose from that is something else.

In both cases the owner only has so much time and money so they decide what event(s) they will attend based on distance, time involved and cost.

Personally, I would have loved to go to the Grand National in Florida this year. Unfortunately, for me the distance (2,100 miles) requires more time and money than I am willing to spend. The date in March also does not fit into my schedule very well either. I went to Kalamazoo, Michigan last year and had a LOT of FUN. It was my vacation for the year. Due to it's cost it also limited the number of other events I attended last year. Will I go to the 2009 Grand National? That all depends on where & when it is going to be held. Last I heard in was somewhere in Kansas. Anyone know Exactly where and when????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Personally, I would have loved to go to the Grand National in Florida this year. </div></div>

I couldn't believe our vacation schedule misses this event by a few days - I suppose I can't do everything I want to do. cry.gif

Argyll.

Does anyone want to admit that the internet has replaced the need to go to most shows and swapmeets? I've "meet" far more new car people online than I have at the meets I've attended in the last few years. Far more knowledge passed around, and you have worldwide contact 24/7.

Guest windjamer

A dual meet at Hershey. Wouldnt it be wonderful??I think there was a song like that. Trust me, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!! But we can dream.Better yet hold the eastern fall meet at carlisle and the GN at hershey once a year. Carlisle done a beautiful job what?? 3 maby 4 years ago?? Haveing attended there events and the one Nat meet I would be willing to bet the neigbors wouldnt bitc-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone want to admit that the internet has replaced the need to go to most shows and swapmeets? I've "meet" far more new car people online than I have at the meets I've attended in the last few years. Far more knowledge passed around, and you have worldwide contact 24/7. </div></div>

Sounds like a thread for a new topic. If I am looking for a specific car or part, then yes, I will have much better luck online. But I go to see unique vehicles in person that I have only seen in books, interact with club members, and have a destination to take my collector car to. Forums are great, but they don't provide a buffet lunch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are only a few days off and you can rejigger your schedule it would really be worth your while to make the Nats..........Bob </div></div>

I wish we could Bob, however the flights and accomodation are all booked for us to arrive not long after the Nats. However, we'll be back again next year and I'll find out where its at and more importantly - when!

Argyll. wink.gif

Guest windjamer

My wife and I atend a show ALMOST every Sunday from April till late Oct. If it is 200 miles or less one way we drive. Thats both cars. Her Chevelle and my Skylark GS. We win almost every week and give the trophys away,(local trophys only,Nats. are in china cab. or on wall.) The thumbs up, frends we meet and conversation with outher car nuts is our reason for going. I think attendance is down at most shows and cruse ins and I think gas has a lot to do with it.

I plan to hit a few more shows this year. When you look at the big picture of our hobby, the extra we spend on fuel is a pretty small part of the cost.

As far as internet versus flea market. I like both and spend time on eBay, a few forums and a Craigs list most every day. I seldom go to a flea market looking for something specific, I go to find what I wasn't looking for, harder to do that on the net.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone want to admit that the internet has replaced the need to go to most shows and swapmeets? </div></div> <span style="color: #3333FF">I agree if I`m looking for something specific, on-line is more fruitful. But there`s still the thrill of the hunt at swapmeets that is hard to replace.

Pawing through a box at a meet one day, the vendor asked "What are you looking for?", thinking he could help me. My honest reply was...

"I won`t know what I`m looking for until I actualy SEE it!" </span>

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are those who will say they're not changing their habits for gas prices no matter what. The story of who actually shows up seems to be different, however. frown.gif</div></div>

Well I for one am a man of my word!!! laugh.gif I'll tell ya this much, a lot of my peers are at house parties every weekend, or maybe even more frequently if they occur!!! Well, when <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I</span></span> party, I wake up in the morning and my <span style="font-style: italic"> knees and feet</span> hurt, not my head! laugh.gif And yet I still STAND there!!! The logic. I just can't find it. It's just NOT THERE!!??? grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A dual meet at Hershey. Wouldnt it be wonderful??I think there was a song like that. Trust me, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!! But we can dream.Better yet hold the eastern fall meet at carlisle and the GN at hershey once a year. Carlisle done a beautiful job what?? 3 maby 4 years ago?? Haveing attended there events and the one Nat meet I would be willing to bet the neigbors wouldnt bitc- </div></div>

Ahhh Yes, we can dream can't we?

The way in which a GN moves around the USA gives all AACA members more of an opportunity to attend.

Always having a GN in the same place denies equal opportunity.

In another post someone said something about continuing the traveling GN and have a second one at Hershey.

IMHO having more than one GN a year is a double edged sword.

On one side having more than one GN would give more members the opportunity to participate in a GN.

On the other side having more than one GN a year may diminish the meaning, status and prestige of the event.

I have a feeling that having more than one GN per year AINT GONNA HAPPEN either. But those who want another one can dream.

Guest windjamer

I think your right Charlier. Guess Im just jellious I cant aford to spend the year chaseing the aaca to all our shows and tours. Maby if I hit the lottery or my ship comes in. Anyone see the Titanic out there???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Carlisle done a beautiful job what?? 3 maby 4 years ago?? Haveing attended there events and the one Nat meet I would be willing to bet the neigbors wouldnt bitc- </div></div>

The Gettysburg AACA Region and not Carlisle did the national spring meet 4 or 5 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gettysburg AACA Region and not Carlisle did the national spring meet 4 or 5 years ago</div></div>Yup, that was June of 2003. That was the first meet that I made it to after coming back from my trip the the sand, and that was the first time that we brought the woodie out.

I'd agree it's far easier to finds parts online but cruise-ins and shows no. How do you replace driving your car there and looking at the other cars? Also people ask lots of questions from a different spectrum than a forum. Also ya can't win a raffle prize here on the forum!!