what is the funniest comment you had about your car?

my65riv

Amphicar = how deep of water will that go in.

Amphicar = Are you trying to kill yourself. I'm calling 911 to report a man driving a car into the water (Raystown Lake 2002)

Amphicar = You don't take that in the water do you. (drying it off 10' from the boat ramp on a sunny day)

Amphicar = will it fly like chitty chitty bang bang (PA DMV)

55 Pontiac = That color combination (green / yellow) looks like a squash 2 old-timers told me. (The name "the squash" stuck)

1997 Chevy Centurion 4 door Crew Cab = That thing looks like a "Amish Cadillac" (mostly all black / 2 trucks make 1, factory authorized)

Guest Skyking

A guy once asked me if I drive my Metropolitan. I said no, I just pedal it. smirk.gifcry.gif <span style="font-style: italic">there are some dumb people out there </span>

Just can't resist this one either. Showing Marmons is always fun. Nevermind the question, "Who made it?". How about, "Were they really made in Salt Lake City?" or "Aren't you guys the ones with the famous Tabernacle Choir". For that one my normal response, "Yea and I have to leave soon for practice."

I even prepared a PowerPoint presentation on the history of the Marmon automobile a and the opening slide reads "Spreading the Gospel of Marmon".

my uncle and i went to hershey one year in his 1950 packard which is black and clean when we left winchester that morning we got close to the showfeild and ran through red clay scale on the road as i rained that morning we arrived on the show field walked through the show cars and some of the fleas we came back to the car at lunch and the pretty black car running through red clay left on the road was filthy there was an older man and his grandson walking around the car and we overheard him saying this would be a nice car if the *.*.*. would wash it

I've had people tell me that they have a Model T Roadster

at home just like mine. (when I'm driving a 1934 Ford Fordor)

I once had a bus driver tell me he had not one but TWO 1933

Fords at home when he heard I had one. So, I showed him a picture of my 1934 Ford Phaeton, from the front and asked is he knew what it was? He said "A 23 T?", later that same guy told me he sold his 35 Restaurant chain for a 100 million dollars and he drove a bus for fun.

One more for fun that I've heard several times.

Is that a Kit Car? Check out the picture.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/PaulDobbin/BeachBuick.jpg It's a 1935 Buick. I wish they made a kit, it would have been much easier in fiberglass than wood & steel.

Guess the only funniest thing so far for me is when my car was running my wife called it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Then last year she called it the silver bullet since it sat all winter bare with no primer or anything on it.

Not about my car but still funny. Just after high school I worked at a gas station that had one of the last full service pumps in my area. One day a guy drove in with his 1956 Cadillac and told me to fill it up. I immediately walked back to the taillight, flipped it up, and started filling it. He jumped out of the car and hollered "Damn! How did you know that? You killed all my fun!"

Well Here goes.

When attending shows with my 55 Patrician, the question always comes up, "What kinda car is that", answer "A Packard", second question, "who made that Ford or Chevvie".

My wife attended a show with her 64 Dart 270 Convertible push button drive. A lady came by and asked how did she drive as there was no shift lever. My wife did not miss a beat and told that she only goes forward and cannot back up. The lady walked away with the most quizical look on her face.

While at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona one year, we were trying to sell 1 1971 Dodge Demon cloned to a Demon 340.

A man comes down with his girl friend and loudly announces to her "yep darlin that there is a duster demon".

Of course the best ones are when my wife and I go to shows with both her white Dart convertible and my white 65 Dart GT convertible and park side by side. I wish I had a $1 for every person who came up and said, "YUP I had one just exactly like that or my folks had one just like that, it was a 4 door, it was green, but it was just like those 2".

At a Concours d'Elegance last year with my '54 Hudson a gentleman that looked to be in his thirties made the statement that he didn't know that a "Hudson" was a real car. He thought it was just a made-up cartoon character that was in the movie <span style="font-style: italic">Cars</span>! I would think that someone who would pay the admission as a spectator at a Concours d'Elegance would be somewhat of an enthusiast. Maybe not.

And as stated in previous replies, I also hear, "Who made it"?

Somewhat related would be "what is the funniest comment you ever gave".

We were crossing a huge lake in the Amphicar and I pulled up to a boat that was anchored apparently catching some R&R. I asked the Captain if he knew if I would reach I-83 if I continued on this course as I made a wrong turn somewhere and was lost.

Very Funny ... but totally non verbal ...

Driving down the highway in 1938 Nash about 25 years ago ...

An older couple in their 70's slowly passing in their new car ...

I wondered why they seemed to be giving me a 'dirty' look ...

As they were coming along side, I noticed a little smile cross their faces as they started to hear the old motor and drivetrain rattling along at highway speeds realizing it was probably origional, and not just another hot rod ...

I can't help but think they had memories of being in the back seat of a similar car 50 years ago ... blush.gif

I had a 62 Ford station wagon in the late 60s. It had a round decorative piece with the handle to crank down the tailgate window in it. One day a gas station attendant had flipped the handle down and was wondering why he couldn't get the pump nozzle into it. Another time I was showing my 50 Austin A40 at a local nursing home.The leather seats were really ratty so I had covered them with K-Mart seat covers. A resident of the home commented that they dont make seats like that anymore.

I have a HOOVER plate that I sometimes put on the front of my 29 Ford and one time while on a stop on a tour a small girl seeing the car exclaimed to her mother, "look mommy a Hoover!" A second good one is when I once had a 23 Ford Model T and my next door neighbor had come over to my garage to look it over. As we were discussing the car his wife came over and stood there a few minutes and apparently hearing us mention "Model T" blurted out, " Oh, my uncle has a Model Go T!" I still wonder about that one.

Just last week the cable guy was here. First he says: Wow! thats some collection of cars. Are they all Buicks?

I replied: Yes, all buicks.

Then he proceeds right through the door with the BUICK PARKING ONLY sign, and reads it out loud, laughing.

Then he says I had a friend who's father had a Chevelle just like your GTO out there. I said: Are you sure it was just like my car?

He said; oh yeah, red like that with a black interior. They were all that way.

I agreed with the moron.

Not so funny as ironic, and a window into the psyche of the average Joe-collector-wannabe.

A mechanic at the service shop next to our garage, upon first seeing my '55 Chevy Bookmobile,

"That'll be a right pretty little truck when you take that box off and put a bed on back."

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Huh?!</span></span>

TG

I was driving my '71 300 through town one summer day, & a couple of very young guys pull up next to me in their Pontiac. Told me I had a nice Charger. I thanked them & told them that it wasn't a Charger but a 300 (at least they knew it was a Mopar & not a Chevy or a Ford). Talked to them for a minute at the red light. The driver then told me it'll be really nice when I get my Charger emblems back on the car (crazy.gif uh, what did I just say?!?).

Ok, here are the comments I have recieved from folks!

1921 Chevrolet: "Is that a Model 'T'?" "No, it is a chevy" "I did not know that they made ones that far back." 2 young kids drove up next to me, near a High School "That thing is old, how is it still running"

1941 Dodge D-19 Coupe: When I am hauling stuff in the trunk such as stuff from Home Depot, I get comments like this:

"Can it haul that much" "You should have it in a museum, not hauling stuff" "Is that a new engine, it runs so quiet" (no it is still the orig. engine) "You should Hot Rod it" (NOOO!)

1948 Lincoln Continental: I take it to car shows alot and here are some of the occasionally off the wall comments:

"Did you drive it here" "yes" "did you drive it here" "no I pushed it!". "What is that?". "Did they make Lincolns that far back?" "Where are the door handles?" and the zinger, "is that the rumble seat?"

1966 Ford Mustang: "How fast does it go?" (it is a 6cyl), "Has it been repainted?" and the big one, "You said it had spinner hubcaps, but where are the spinners?"

1978 Lincoln Mark V: "You should pimp it out"

The 3 questions I get mostly are: "Is that the rumble seat", "How can it still be on the road if it does'nt have a 'new' engine" and "old cars must be expensive"

I don't know him very well, but a club member of ours from another region has a 1956 Lincoln station wagon. It was custom built from I believe 3 1956 Lincolns and a 1978 Ford Country Squire pulled out of junkyards. It is made to look like a completely stock Lincoln converted into a wagon as a 1956 Lincoln concept car. It looks awesome and must have cost several hundred thousand to build. During one of our car shows, it was parked next to a members 1976 Buick Estate wagon. Some yokel walked up to them and said. "Oh, I've seen them Lincoln wagons before, but I ain't never seen one of these Buick ones. That must be rare."

Later on, he was standing by a 1965 Chrysler 300 and said "My cousin used to have a '65 T-bird just like this." His blondie bimbo girlfriend marveled over how knowledgeable he was about all these cars. I couldn't take it anymore and had to walk over and point out the "Chrysler 300" emblems on it. When he still argued "Someone must have put them on there." I pointed to the '65 T-bird across the lot and said "That is what a "65 T-bird looks like." He got all pissed off and left.

Some years ago, I had a beautiful 1955 Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire. It was not built for export, so it was a right-hand drive car. Some of the questions I had to answer, "No, it is not a Rolls Royce" "No, it was not built by Rolls Royce" "No, my name is not Armstrong Siddeley, that is the name of the car". The best, however, was the lady who stood in front of the car with a bewildered look. Finally she asked why the steering wheel was on the "wrong" side, I explained that it was a British car and the British drive on the left-hand side of the road. She turns and calls to her husband, "He drove this car here on the left-hand side of the road!!!" I won't even go into the goofy comments I've had on my Franklins or my 54 Citroen Traction Avant.

One Saturday morning in the mid-'70s, I was delegated to take my employer's '26 Minerva Town Car to the local filling station, to gas it up for a tour. As I was standing beside the massive classic, a middle-aged gentleman and a youngster of five or so walked past on the nearby sidewalk. "Look, Jimmy," I heard the man say, "It's a Model A Ford just like grandpa had when I was a boy."

This didn't happen to me, but to my brother. I was there at the time, so I guess it qualifies. I had a ratty TR3 and he had a rather nice Morgan +4 (around 1980 or so). We were parked at a diner parking lot getting ready to go in for breakfast when a boy and his father walked by the two cars. The boy looked at the Morgan and yelled to his father, "Look, DAD, an MG..." His father replied, "You know what MG stands for? Morris Garages". We still laugh at that one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This didn't happen to me, but to my brother. I was there at the time, so I guess it qualifies. I had a ratty TR3 and he had a rather nice Morgan +4 (around 1980 or so). We were parked at a diner parking lot getting ready to go in for breakfast when a boy and his father walked by the two cars. The boy looked at the Morgan and yelled to his father, "Look, DAD, an MG..." His father replied, "You know what MG stands for? Morris Garages". We still laugh at that one.... </div></div>

I believe "NOTANMG" is a personalized license plate that's been taken in almost every state, almost always by a Triumph owner. smirk.gif

One of the most ridiculous comments I have heard was while driving my 1928 Studebaker President on a long cross country drive. A friend of mine had a 1928 Studebaker President Roadster, mine was a 5 passenger sedan, and we both lived in Northern California and wanted to attend car meets in Logan, Utah, and Sutherlin, Oregon, on back to back weekends. We loaded up our cars with camping equipment, children and spouses, and headed east to Utah camping out along the way. Somewhere near the Nevada / Utah boarder we stopped for gas and a women walked over to my wife and asked her what we were doing after taking note of old cars with out of state licenses plates and camping equipment tied down to the back end and on the running boards. After finding out we were on a two week vacation driving cross country camping out using 1928 Studebakers the incredulously women asked my wife “Why are you ALLOWING your husband to put you and your children through this kind of TORTURE?”.

I suppose to some people if you are not traveling in a modern SUV with built in TV’s for the kids, air conditioning, cup holders galore and every other conceivable modern contraption the trip must be torture. This trip occurred when my two daughters were under the age of 10 years old; they are both in their 20’s now and have very fond memories of this specific vacation. By the way, we drove for two weeks, through 5 states, and nearly 3 thousand trouble free miles on some of the most beautiful roads the west has to offer. One of these days I plan on doing it again, if I can just get that amount of time off work again.

Oh, and the other comment I have been listening to for over 30 years that I have owned 1928 and 1929 Studebakers is this: “My Grandfather had a Model T Ford just like this one”. At one point I had a large custom sign made for my car that said STUDEBKER, and still I heard about the Model T Ford connection to their grandparents, so I have given up.

Sometime in the early 90's I was sitting at a gas station in my fathers 1920 Dodge brothers... a man made a couple of trips around the car, pointed out the hubcaps and said, "DB, is that truley a Duesenburg?" My fathers response, "Yes, and it's for sale."

Guest imported_JPIndusi

About 4 years ago, my son and his wise*** friend at the time were standing next to my 48 Buick Special. The friend, trying to impress me and my son, announced that engine was a straight 6 while staring at the engine with the decal that says BUICK DYNAFLASH EIGHT.

Others insist that it is flathead eight.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at some of these things when you look at the intellectual level of most TV shows these days.

Joe, BCA 33493

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPIndusi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 4 years ago, my son and his wise*** friend at the time were standing next to my 48 Buick Special. The friend, trying to impress me and my son, announced that engine was a straight 6 while staring at the engine with the decal that says BUICK DYNAFLASH EIGHT.

Others insist that it is flathead eight.

Joe, BCA 33493 </div></div>

I totally forgot about this until I read your post:

I had a friend of my crazy neighbor in my garage looking at the Century's 320 on the engine stand a few years ago. My neighbor claimed this fellow was an expert on all things automotive and really wanted to see my car because he used to have one just like it. OK.

The guy wanted to argue that it was a six (because, of course, he used to have one, and because <span style="font-style: italic">"Buicks always had six cylinder engines."</span>). He tried to prove it to me by pointing out that there are only 12 ports on the head (the Buick straight-8 has 4 intake and 8 exhaust ports), and because "there's no such thing as a straight-8." Good thing I didn't try to show him the photo of that experimental Packard inline-12!

Even when I showed him 8 spark plugs and 2 exhaust manifolds with 4 ports each, he resisted. He tried to convince me that it is absolutely impossible to have two cylinders breathing through the same port: "One would just suck the air and fuel out of the other!"

He added, "If you don't even know what kind of engine you have, good luck restoring that car," and walked away shaking his head, thinking <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> was the dope.

Nobody wants to admit they're stupid, even when their actions prove it. I guess this isn't really a funny comment about my car, but a sad comment on how aggressively ignorant people can be.

One does get tired of the arguments related to "I had one just like it". Of course you did however with a few clarifications such as:

It was a different make of vehicle or completely different model

It had a different number of cylinders, etc.

It wasn't the same color, type of interior material, wheelbase, etc

Wasn't a convertible but a hardtop

Had 4 seats instead of 2

Had the 383 engine (close match to your hemi)

Doesn't go in the water but matches your amphicar in appearance and functionally exactly

Actually is a motorcycle but does resemble your car somewhat

Utilized 8 volt electrics and not the standard 12 of the day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually is a motorcycle but does resemble your car somewhat

</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">That's</span> funny. laugh.gif

I had my 1932 PA Plymouth at a show years ago, and a man in his 70s came by and told me it was a nice car except that the radiator mascot was wrong. He said it should have a boat on the cap. When I told him that Plymouth used the goddess in 1931-32 and that the <span style="font-style: italic">Mayflower</span> wasn't used until later, he told me, "What do you know, you weren't there." (I was a teenager at the time.)

How do you argue with logic like that?

Steve, also consider that he would most likely have been in diapers at that time. Had a gent in his 60s - early 70s ask me about my '30 A last summer. "is it for sale" (usual) and "I remember these when they were new" (unlikely, if you do the math.)

Another guy (possibly intoxicated, not sure) asking me about our Cutlass while I was gaurding it in the Walmart parking lot offered this advice after being unconvinced of the year - "Hang on to that one, I sell a lot of these to Chinese Millionaires"

Back in '97 I bought a new Mustang coupe. Neighbor comes over, "what is that" & "does the top come off?" Not really a car guy..

Guest imported_tmdltim

When I restored my 15 Model T Touring in about 1954, I had the body painted white instead of black. I knew better, but I did not want it black, and like some say, "It is my money" Anyway, at a tour years later, two older fellows were observed looking at the car, and one commented, "That's a mighty light black". My 15 is still white, and some of my longtime friends still remember that comment.

- 56 Cadillac Limousine: At recent local car corrals, I am sometimes asked "where do they put the body?" and "you should take care of that hole in your oil filler cap, see it smoking?"

- 70 Electra Convertible: "That car isn't old, I just got rid of one I drove for 20 years!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Hang on to that one, I sell a lot of these to Chinese Millionaires" </div></div>

Sounds like my Buddy "Junk Yard Joe"

He's right, the only part he did'nt tell you is that they're ground up in little pieces and loaded on a freighter. LOL

laugh.gif Dave!