Sign in to follow this  
my65riv

what is the funniest comment you had about your car?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amphicar BUYER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

roadkillontheweb - Not to change the subject, but I thought you may be interested in this Ute that I came REALLY close to buying here in Denver a couple years back...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.... crazy.gif </div></div>

I am familiar with that Chrysler AP1 UTE (Approx 1959) that was in Denver. It had a later version 6-cylinder HEMI (Australia only engine) but all in all not that bad of a car for the price. You should have bought it they are really fun to drive and really confuse people at car shows.

One of my favorite things to tell couples that are looking at it is.

" I got tired of the wife telling me how to drive so I bought a car with the steering wheel on her side!"

I have had a lot of guys get smacked after they laugh just a litte too hard after I say that.

<span style="color: #3333FF">One of our cars is a 1966 Pontiac GTO, original except for Cherry Bombs, baby moons, and Hi-Jackers. At a local cruise night, a young girl pointed to the raised rear of the car and told her boyfriend....

"See, that car has hydraulics!"</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they'd get ill with us</div></div>

Hey Moepar- I need to know something.

When you talk about a large quantity of something, do you use the word "beaucoup"? grin.gif

Yah, bofn'um are Piedmont Nawth Cahlina and Vajenya thangs, the rest of y'all might not understand. whistle.gif </div></div>Actually, I used "beaucoup" only when I lived in FL (where I grew up). Tried using it here-ah, but was told that was a $5 word that I'd have to explain. Now I just refer to a large quantity as something as big as my 300 laugh.gif I think it's what the B-52's had in mind when they said "I have a Chrysler thats as big as a whale" in the song Love Shack.

What really got me good one time was I was told that "kudos" was also one of 'em words.... whistle.gif

Of the many humorous comments I've heard over the years, two stand out as my favorites.

The first, at our local AACA region show a few years back, stars a young man trying to impress his girlfriend/wife/whatever. They're looking at our 1910 Breeze highwheeler, and he's describing attributes about the car to her. They get to the back of the car and seeing the chains to the rear wheels, he tells her, "oh, and it's chain-drive". She walks to the side, looks at the driver's controls and says, "how do you pedal it?"

The second took place while our 1912 Maxwell was on display

at a local historical society event in a fairly well-to-do community. My wife and I are in period costume as is the norm. About the middle of the afternoon, this young man and his 4-6 year old son are looking at the car and us. After a few minutes, I hear the little boy ask his father, "is that what poor people look like?", not being able to resist an answer, I immediately said, "yes".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moepar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they'd get ill with us</div></div>

Hey Moepar- I need to know something.

When you talk about a large quantity of something, do you use the word "beaucoup"? grin.gif

Yah, bofn'um are Piedmont Nawth Cahlina and Vajenya thangs, the rest of y'all might not understand. whistle.gif </div></div>Actually, I used "beaucoup" only when I lived in FL (where I grew up). Tried using it here-ah, but was told that was a $5 word that I'd have to explain. Now I just refer to a large quantity as something as big as my 300 laugh.gif I think it's what the B-52's had in mind when they said "I have a Chrysler thats as big as a whale" in the song Love Shack.

What really got me good one time was I was told that "kudos" was also one of 'em words.... whistle.gif

</div></div>

I'd say you definitely have beaucoups of room in a Three Hundred! I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZondaC12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friends and peers of mine:

"Wow the backseat in that thing is huge, man". Yes, the conversation ALWAYS goes in THAT direction. whistle.gif </div></div>

I read a story once from a guy who had a 1956 Mercury, bought from the family of the original owner, who had let his son use it in his high school. One day at a show he saw this middle-aged guy and his wife pause by the car; the wife got really excited and started pointing and saying, "Oh, honey, it's your old car! Remember?!!! We lost our virginity on that backseat!"

The owner said he hadn't been able to sit back there since without shuddering (it has the original upholstery).

My old 1957 Desoto Adventurer convertible was identified as the location where one of the previous owners concieved thier child. I was in her flower shop one day talking about the cars history and her daughter came in the shop and the lady started laughing. Seeing her daughter had reminded her that she was a product of that cars interior. Needless to say the daughter was not aware of that fact and was a little embarrassed.

One of my other cars a 1957 Desoto Firesweep was identified as a place that another couple used to "have fun" before they were married, the car belonged to her father!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'd say you definitely have beaucoups of room in a Three Hundred! I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20... </div></div>

And then there's about room for 20 more in the trunk....

wink.gif

While displaying a '29 Packard at a local car show, a couple walked up and I heard the man explaining to his wife that it really was not an old car. He said that rich people had bought up the factory production dies and still made these cars in limited numbers for their buddies.

I attended a local car event a few years back with my '59 Buick. As I was driving away, an older fellow confidently strode up to the window of the car, and surprised me with:

"This is a 1976 DeSoto, right?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While displaying a '29 Packard at a local car show, a couple walked up and I heard the man explaining to his wife that it really was not an old car. He said that rich people had bought up the factory production dies and still made these cars in limited numbers for their buddies. </div></div>

OHHHH BOY! Can ya have em make one for me toooo.... tell em my birthday is comming and they can just leave it in the driveway. grin.gif

Oh, and they don't have to bother to wrap it. I wouldn't want tape marks all over the paint. laugh.gif Dave!

A friend with a 57 Chevy sedan delivery was given a great compliment one day. "Hey man, you did a great job filling the windows of your Nomad."

I drove my 55 Chevy to a gas station in 1976, only to hear, "What kind of car is this?" I knew then that things were not going well.

Amphicar = how deep of water will that go in.

Amphicar = Are you trying to kill yourself. I'm calling 911 to report a man driving a car into the water (Raystown Lake 2002)

Amphicar = You don't take that in the water do you. (drying it off 10' from the boat ramp on a sunny day)

Amphicar = will it fly like chitty chitty bang bang (PA DMV)

55 Pontiac = That color combination (green / yellow) looks like a squash 2 old-timers told me. (The name "the squash" stuck)

1997 Chevy Centurion 4 door Crew Cab = That thing looks like a "Amish Cadillac" (mostly all black / 2 trucks make 1, factory authorized)

A guy once asked me if I drive my Metropolitan. I said no, I just pedal it. smirk.gifcry.gif <span style="font-style: italic">there are some dumb people out there </span>

Just can't resist this one either. Showing Marmons is always fun. Nevermind the question, "Who made it?". How about, "Were they really made in Salt Lake City?" or "Aren't you guys the ones with the famous Tabernacle Choir". For that one my normal response, "Yea and I have to leave soon for practice."

I even prepared a PowerPoint presentation on the history of the Marmon automobile a and the opening slide reads "Spreading the Gospel of Marmon".

my uncle and i went to hershey one year in his 1950 packard which is black and clean when we left winchester that morning we got close to the showfeild and ran through red clay scale on the road as i rained that morning we arrived on the show field walked through the show cars and some of the fleas we came back to the car at lunch and the pretty black car running through red clay left on the road was filthy there was an older man and his grandson walking around the car and we overheard him saying this would be a nice car if the *.*.*. would wash it

I've had people tell me that they have a Model T Roadster

at home just like mine. (when I'm driving a 1934 Ford Fordor)

I once had a bus driver tell me he had not one but TWO 1933

Fords at home when he heard I had one. So, I showed him a picture of my 1934 Ford Phaeton, from the front and asked is he knew what it was? He said "A 23 T?", later that same guy told me he sold his 35 Restaurant chain for a 100 million dollars and he drove a bus for fun.

One more for fun that I've heard several times.

Is that a Kit Car? Check out the picture.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/PaulDobbin/BeachBuick.jpg It's a 1935 Buick. I wish they made a kit, it would have been much easier in fiberglass than wood & steel.

Guess the only funniest thing so far for me is when my car was running my wife called it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Then last year she called it the silver bullet since it sat all winter bare with no primer or anything on it.

Not about my car but still funny. Just after high school I worked at a gas station that had one of the last full service pumps in my area. One day a guy drove in with his 1956 Cadillac and told me to fill it up. I immediately walked back to the taillight, flipped it up, and started filling it. He jumped out of the car and hollered "Damn! How did you know that? You killed all my fun!"

The TAILIGHT. Wow ya learn something new everyday! As I always say to myself "Youve NEVER seen it all".