Sign in to follow this  
MarkV

The Ugliest Cars Ever?

Wes', there's a lot of "an acquired taste" in those links! grin.gif

Do you guys get this horror, the SSangYong Rodius?

car_rt_photo_829111_1_7.jpg

I always thought that those Citroen's were the ugliest car on earth. Someone around town had one in the 60's and I still remember seeing it drive past the farm.

That's my vote! grin.gif Dave!

I don't know about plug ugly but all the uninspired look alike cars since 80's kind of fit........Bob

Ugly is "in" now. We have boxes (Scion), Playskool toys (Element), and military vehicles (Hummer, among others) and small cars that looks like they were hit at both ends and pushed up in the middle. They don't get much uglier!

What I find interesting is the the so called "experts" in design of the new car magazines.When a car company "strays" of the beaten path of an egg car and adds something "extra",they do not look well on it all.they question the need of a crease at a belt line,port holes,extra chrome,whatever.There has to be something besides the emblem to tell what kind of car is it.when the 2005 Chrysler 300 came out there was "experts" saying it wouldn't sell,HA!yeah right.

Jeff Mealer

Mt. Juliet,TN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ugly is "in" now. We have boxes (Scion), Playskool toys (Element), and military vehicles (Hummer, among others) and small cars that look like they were hit at both ends and pushed up in the middle. They don't get much uglier! </div></div>

Don't forget about Tonka Trucks, i.e. Toyota FJ Cruiser

Toyota products, such as the Lexus small SUV (300?) and Prius. Misguided California styling ques abound where the tail lights are not red, rather clear and look like headlights. Sometimes as you glance at the cars in an intersection as you go through it, there is one of these cars and for a brief moment, you panic as you perceive the rear of the car to be the front. I've felt the adreneline and pucker factor associated with a crash due to quickly mis-judging what end of the car I'm facing. Did I mention they are butt ugly too!

How about Toyota Echo. It looks like the rear wheels are trying to catch up with the front ones. grin.gifgrin.gifAnd if you look at the drivers, they look like their cars. grin.gif

Bob,

I agree about the Echo. It looks like its going downhill even on flat ground. smile.gif

Then again, looking that the pict of your Metropolitan kinda reminds me of the same thing. smile.gif

1940.jpg

X_1958_Nash_Metropolitan_08112007100330_18524.jpg

The problem with most ugly car or worst car lists is it is a matter of someone's opinion, and I often find than many of the cars on the list are ones I wouldn't mind owning. But then I collect Crosleys so we know what my opinions are worth.

No new cars are ugly. In order to be ugly or beautiful, they must have some sort of styling and character, which they do not. New cars are just bland.

As for ugly cars, how about the AMC Matador Barcelona. It's easy to pick out small inexpensive ugly cars, but this was supposed to be a personal luxury coupe. It looks like a Javelin, a Gremlin, and a Pacer had a 3 way, and the offspring was a Baby Huey Barcelona.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As for ugly cars, how about the AMC Matador Barcelona. <span style="font-weight: bold">It's easy to pick out small inexpensive ugly cars, but this was supposed to be a personal luxury coupe.</span> It looks like a Javelin, a Gremlin, and a Pacer had a 3 way, and the offspring was a Baby Huey Barcelona.

</div></div>

I agree. For a car to be truly ugly it has to have attempted beauty and failed. The Matador is a perfect example. Patrick Foster's book <span style="font-style: italic">The Last of the Independents</span> lays AMC's demise right on it's doorstep, I think correctly. It's hard to believe that the same people who came up with the Javelin did that one, even as a facelift (as the 4-door was, the 2-door was a new design meant to be stylish). There's nothing on the 4 door that's an improvement from the previous model, and the 2-door just didn't work and looks almost child-like.

The Aztec I think is the all-time champ, although it's probably too soon to really appreciate it now. That thing, especially in the first model year before all the cladding came off, is definitely in the same vein as the Matador...especially the "exclusive" versions like the Barcelona or the Pierre Cardin versions of the 2-door. It went all out to make a visual statement, a risk few cars attempt, and fell on it's face hard. Too bad the designers didn't have a cash-strapped empolyer to blame like Dick Teague did at AMC.

Another good one is the Datsun F10 from the mid-1970s. Nissan was generally an understated company by Japanese standards (240Z, 510, 210, Datsun truck, etc.), but this thing swung for the fences and missed big time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Then again, looking that the pict of your Metropolitan kinda reminds me of the same thing. smile.gif

</div></div>

Hey Hey! grin.gif

Another funny car, Volkswagon Thing. What were they thinking?

re;ditto on the aztek or how about a Scion xB SUV.looks like A bread box with A frount end,And some people think they look cool? No taste.