73 Riv options

imported_75RivGS

In the latest (jan-feb 2008)Riview there was a sublime article about options on the 73 Riviera (by Darwin). Still I got a few questions:

-I read the 1973 Product Selling album more carefully and noticed a lighted vanity mirror was available for the Riviera. I was convinced that the first year for such a mirror was the 1974 modelyear....(the 1974 C&T album stated it as 'new for 1974 models') Does somebody have a photo of such a mirror in a 73? Is it mentioned in the 73 C&T album as well (it is the only album I still don't have in the 71-76 serie)

-were the sail panel emblems only available with the vinyl top/accent stripes?

-the rear view mirror in my 73 is a stainless one: was that an after market or dealer installed or factory option?

(if factory: which model years are correct for these mirrors?)

Thanks!

BTW: looking forward to read the same kind of article about the 74-76 Riviera era (some of them with the 'monstrously overstuffed padded vinyl Landau tops mad.gifsmile.gif .... I lately parted one out which had never seen a garage for it's entire 30+ year car life: not one spot of rust!!)

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 75RivGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the latest (jan-feb 2008)Riview there was a sublime article about options on the 73 Riviera (by Darwin). Still I got a few questions:

-I read the 1973 Product Selling album more carefully and noticed a lighted vanity mirror was available for the Riviera. I was convinced that the first year for such a mirror was the 1974 modelyear....(the 1974 C&T album stated it as 'new for 1974 models') Does somebody have a photo of such a mirror in a 73? Is it mentioned in the 73 C&T album as well (it is the only album I still don't have in the 71-76 serie)

</div></div>

Thanks Rob. I'm embarrassed to admit I had to look up the word "sublime". It's not commonly used in the US... thank you for the huge compliment. I have a long long long way to go on options... it will take a minimum of 3 articles per year to cover the possibilities fully. Since I won't be getting back to '73s for another year or so.... I'll answer a bit now. The lighted visor vanity mirror was available in Riviera in '73. In '74 it became available on all full-size Buicks. It was option U7 (D64)and was installed on 4076 Rivieras... just under 12% of production, so quite rare.

When I was writing the "Buy the Book" series in the Riview a few years ago my personal Riviera library exploded in size (previously I'd only collected '66-70 in earnest)... I now do have all the '71-76 C&T albums as well as the Product Selling Manuals. I will eventually get to writing on the forgotten years of '74 to '78...patience...

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry for using that word (sublime), must have been in my head since high school. English is not my second language (beside my own language, German is second).

Really looking forward to read the 74-78 articles.

In the mean time I still have to cover my own 75 for the Riview (still waiting for good weather here to take the Riviera out and make a few good photos)

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Darwin,I have two original 74's if you need any pictures.Ones a 40,000 mile GS and the other is a 20,000 mile GS STAGE1. Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 75RivGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">English is not my second language (beside my own language, German is second).

</div></div>

Still: shouldn´t it be Riviera Owne<span style="text-decoration: underline">rs</span> Association instead of Riviera Owne<span style="text-decoration: underline">r`s</span> Association (see category on AACA board)?

Not really a big issue, but when a typo, maybe inform an admin?

My 73 Boattail, now for sale on ebay, was hand ordered from the factory. I have the hand written order form plus the window sticker. The most curious of his choices was a $5 engine block heater. Still there, all original. The car is a Minnesota car so obviously a good choice, but still strange to see ordered on a factory car.

I have the codes for all options on the window sticker, I'm sure they would be familiar to Darwin.

nice history on that Boattail; noticed before it was relisted, must be quite a pain in the a** those dead bidders.

A blockheater; I still have my doubts about getting one (for a CA Estate Wagon...)but it is the only accessory on the 72 accessory list the Wagon doesn't have (yesterday I 'won' a pair of NOS Buick Child Door Lock Guards)

The less popular model year (73) of the boattails is gaining interest, looking at the prices on eBay last few years

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the codes for all options on the window sticker, I'm sure they would be familiar to Darwin. </div></div>

I'd sure appreciate a copy of the window sticker though, before you sell it. Can you send me a scan of it to riviera66@aol.com? The block heater is a pretty rare option... only 1315 installed.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

I had a block heater in my first '73. It was installed in place of a frost plug. It blue out in '75 or '76 while I was driving down I-35 in Mpls. Now that was a rapid loss of coolant!

Rob

It would be Riviera Owners' Association if it were a plural possessive; but it's referring to an association of owners, not an association in the possession of the owners. (Owner's Association would belong to only one owner) Therefore Riviera Owners Association is correct. grin.gif

Ed

Darwin,

PM me your address and I will copy and send all I have. Thanks.

By the way all, this 73 Riviera will be parted if not sold on ebay and I guess I could sell the block heater option, it's still there, and on a 64,000 original mile car. I'm not sure it would be "unique" enough to warrant installing it though.

Thanks Darwin. It'll be snail mail, that's all.

I too hope it will sell. I paid $1700 for it sight unseen. I think $950 is fair given how nice the interior is. I have cleared out space in my heated garage though so removing parts will be comfortable. It has the nicest stock never molested 73 Buick interior I have ever seen.