What no 490?!

MarkV

I Just got my new issue of HCC in the mail and read the article about GM and what is interesting is that they practically skip over the models like the 490 that made Chevrolet a direct competitor to Ford! I have noticed this in several articles that I have read. Meanwhile they mention practically every other model through pics. or the story! In fact it has been very hard to find any article about the 490 let alone one that even briefly mentions it! So, what is this all about?!

Don't feel lonesome. Oldsmobile got almost completely ignored. The car that ignited the horsepower wars and made automatic transmissions a household word, and the best Rich Lentinello could say was "Oldsmobile never created as many spectacular designs as their division rivals".

Umph. Guess Olds was too busy engineering and perfecting GM's myriad of gadgets to concentrate on spectacular designs.

Or they could have been RE-engineering and perfecting everybody else's shortcomings. They did a lot of that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of them did fall apart, because of the wood construction, I have to replace wood on mine all the time! </div></div>

I think he was referring to the engine itself, which was a dismal failure.