Badger Guy's Yugo

Steve_Mack_CT

Since the Yugo has come up a couple times in other posts here is a quick but true story for any Yugo owners or fans. Daniels Cadillac (now called Thomas) in the Hartford area strangely enough took on the Yugo line when they first came out. Perhaps it just did not make sense for them or whatever, but it seems they could not sell them. They did a promotion around 1986 - buy a new Cadillac, you get a Yugo free. No doubt there was something tacked onto the sticker but the promo did get them lots of publicity. - grin.gif

There was a brand new Yugo here that was at a local gas station/repair shop back when they first came out. It had a defective axle bearing and the car was so new that a replacement was not availible. It was a long time ago, but I belive that it sat there for more than a year until a replacment was located.

A friend of mine had one and drove it as a beater for several years. His turned out to be fairly reliable and economical.

grin.gif Dave!

Second similar true story - a "Le Car" (Renault?) dealer went under here in the Hartford area, a smaller place with two or three new cars still on the lot. They sat for over 20 years, unsold, deteriorating in front of the place until recently - I believe they are now gone. For anyone from CT this was on route 10 in Plainville.

I remember a new car dealer here attempted to sell new Yugos. Can't remember which one, but a couple years after they stopped selling them, they still had 2 two year old unsold ones on the lot. They finally sold with a buy one get one free deal.

I also saved this anti-Yugo flyer some group was distributing at the Chicago Auto Show. They claimed it was unreliable and Communist. I imagine hardly anyone saved theirs, and this is very rare and should be worth money. However, in order to be worth money, someone would have to actually want it.