Hood Release cable

b6vt

I broke the end off the hood release cable on my 48 LC. The cable is now to short to attach the stop and adjust

the mechanism. Will the pull unscrew? This is the maroon

colored pull marked "HOOD" If anyone knows please advise.

Thanks. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Guest imported_V12Bill

Shorten the Sheath on the cable by about 3/4" and add an extension to the cable by wraping the addition and the old cable with a wrap of copper strand and soldier. This should be strong enough to make your old cable useable. Also add a new cable to your latch that comes out under the left front fender to use if the cable breaks again.

V12Bill has two good suggestions. I seem to remember seeing a cable-splicing sleeve with setscrews similar to the sleeve that adjusts the cable length at the end of the hood cable only longer, with two screws but I can't remember where I saw it. If you have access to some brass rod and a drill press, you could probably make some and sell them on this forum. I'll betcha you aren't the first person to experience this problem.

Bill's suggestion of installing an extra "emergency" cable release in the fender (or behind the grille) is a good one too.

OR - check out Rolf Burdette's "treasure chest" list on this forum. Rolf has this item for sale:

"Hood opening knob and cable, decent used knob, says 'HOOD' on it, $75".

Rolf has a lot of Zephyr parts. This one is probably for a 1941 Zephyr and the knob will be the wrong color for a post-was car. If his hood release cable is for a Zephyr, it might not be long enough for a Continental. Check with Rolf anyway, he has had some post-war parts as well.

OR - Go to your local auto parts store and get a "universal" truck choke Bowden cable. (I got one at Pep Boys some time ago). Remove the generic knob an check with Chris Herrel for the correct reproduction "HOOD" knob.

Glenn, if Pauls solution is indeed one that will work within the housing, I can't envision how it could, I have a maroon hood knob with about 6" of the wire on it, I don't think the knob easily comes off does it guys?? Welded and ground down, to a replacement wire?? Unlikely, but there may be a solution somewhere within this great collective intelligence, we await that solution with baited breath-

Rolf, This has been one of those situations where you begin with one task and it takes you on a route where you have to complete several others before you can complete the original job you started. I will also wait with bait on my breath for the collective intel to kick in. The hood latch is so hard to pull. Part of the problem that we discussed--I an currently soaking the cable shield in solvent-so far its been in that stuff for a week perhaps it will free that cable to a point where I can open hood w/o the added friction of the cable itself. That is, if I can repair the end of the cable. I don't want to lose the HOOD pull. glenn lorei b6vt

When I recently was trying to get a '41 hood cable working free, I had some success by pouring Kroil down the tube until it over flowed, then blowing it down by the good old mouth, refilling it, and repeating the process, got a little movement, and by pulling the knob, and the other end of the wire with a pair of pliers, in a short time it came loose, the EPA came to the door, and tried to arrest me, but I washed my mouth out thoroughly, and did not drink any of the Kroil, and I am alive and well, with no new sympthoms, the wire eventually separated and pulled out of the housing, I greased it well, and it now works like new-

IF U WANT TO REPAIR THE OLD ONE...GO TO LAWN MOWER SHOP. THEY WILL HAVE WIRE CABLE/HOUSINGS. NAKED METAL WAS ONCE COMMON..NOW MANY HAVE VYNYL COVER..LOOK AROUND..CUT AND

ONLY CHALLENGE IS THE CRIMPING THE OLD ENDS ON....IT WAS DONE ONCE...

BUT SERIOUSLY...THESE WERE MASS PRODUCED AUTOS..LOOK AND IN NO TIME ..YOU WILL FIND ONE .READY TO BOLT ON..ORIGINAL..

EAST COAST SUPPLIER...WITH GOOD PLASTIC..COOL CLIMATE..

CHEERS.